Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WALTHAM, LET'S SEE YOUR FAVORITE! (PART ONE) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I'll bet you thought quality Pocket Watches were a thing of the past. Well sure, some of them are, and we all enjoy collecting them. However, today there are once again high quality pocket chronographs being manufactured. And guess who is making them!

WALTHAM
Check this one in 18K Solid-Gold...

http://www.waltham.ch/cgi/collection/pu_60.asp

And this Skeletonized, also in 18K Solid-Gold...

http://www.waltham.ch/cgi/collection/pp_60.asp

Chapter 185 Life Member Claude Girardin heads Waltham International in Switzerland, and they make some fabulous watches. Check out their website...

http://www.waltham.ch/

Take the tour, check it out and tell us what you think of them! Also, consider showing us a favorite Walthan from your collection. Here's one of mine...

Waltham Premier Maximus 17057273 in 18K Dennison Case...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
My favorite Waltham is this 18 size, 17 jewel, model 1892, D&RG SPECIAL. D&RG stands for Denver & Rio Grande.

posted
Smile

posted
Lindell: I have not yet checked out the web site. Do you know the asking price on the watches? I must add, I like the look of the watch, but I think that style of hands is awful. Surely they could find something with a more graceful look!

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Beautiful Phil!

Sure shows the Waltham Railroad Heritage.

Jerry, times and tastes change, the hands are bold on the pocket watches, with a Breguet influence.

I urge you to look through the entire collection, they are doing a great job of moving the designs forward. Just the fact that a Railroad Grade Pocket Watch is actually being made today is a very big step forward. I for one really love the skeletonized version!

Their wristwatches are also very beautiful, check them out.

Lindell

Wink
http://www.waltham.ch/

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
My favorite Waltham is one of my restorations from total scrap. One must understand that my emphasis of collecting is restoration, not on purchasing pristine watches. The shown watch came from a box of junk that was being thrown away by a jeweler several years ago. He had set the box out for the trash with watches, movements and cases that he believed were totally beyond help. When I found the box, he gave it to me laughing that I would want it.

In this box was this 18S, model 57, 7J, Broadway in its original AW Co sterling HC. The case was completely mashed in on each side, it was covered with crud, and was completely filthy. When opening the case, I was surprised to find that it was all there. The dial was in the condition that is shown, but without the years of dirt on it. The balance staff and hairspring were fine, which surprised me when one would have seen how the case had been crushed. Sadly, I don't have any before pix. After a good cleaning of the movement, it took right off and keeps time to about 15 sec/day. The chore was to iron out the case and return it to a semblance of shape. That took some time and patience. There are still some character dents in the case, but it is functional except for a broken lift spring. Eventially, I'll find one of those to fit and will replace it.

First pic is the dial side.

posted
Broadway movement

posted
Broadway sterling case

posted
Tom,

I like your watch and the STORY, I have a couple of "PROJECT" watches like that ...Rebuilding those watches is great fun.. How do you suppose that the case screw head got like it is?? I have 2 examples just like that...Hard to "UNSCREW" Eek

John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
John, Thanks for the kind comment. Re: the case screw. The screw was a dog screw. When I initially put the screwdriver to it to remove the movement from the case, half of it broke off. I used tweezers to remove it. I then just used tweezers to put it back in. Looks strange, but it works.

Tom

posted
Hi,
All my Waltham are favourites, here's one I have a photo of. Apologies for the quality - new camera is overdue!
Ray

060504_096

Posts: 77 | Location: Ashburton, New Zealand | Registered: June 06, 2004
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
G'day, Ray,

Any possibility of a shot of the dial, please ?

Thanks with . . .

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
My favorite Waltham is the first one I purchased in London in 1982. I did not know much about high grade Walthams and was primarily a clock collector at the time. When I found out more about it, I decided I would like to own examples of all the American Grade Waltham watches. I now have nearly all of the examples and gave a talk this past weekend in Houston on the topic.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Here is my favorite Waltham I own ...

Fred

IHC Life Member
Picture of Claude Girardin
posted
Appreciating your comments on both "revival" pocket watches Waltham Heritage. Instead of a "replica" a "revival" is based on trying to develop a timepiece to fulfil the same purpose as was originally intended by the artisan of the time, using today's technical means, as a tribute.

The weak point of pocket watches was always the crystal. We have used the biggest possible diameter of domed sapphire crystal (51,6 mm), for the historical outer diameter of 60 mm.

The hands have been selected "heavy" following Webb C. Ball's prescriptions, as "Breguet" style, in order to offer the possibility of having night time indication thanks to luminous dots.

PP60: the calibre is an old Elysée (now Manufacture Piguet) movement, especially modified to run as an 8-Day, and skeletted (as a tribute to the famous Waltham 8-Day), of which we still dispose only of a very limited number. the case wheighs 155.5 grams 18K Gold, the dial 14.15 grams, the crown 5.1 grams for a grand total of 163.60. The case is water-resistant 3 atm for full protection of the movement.

PU6: calibre 16-1/2"6497-2 UT Special Edition, officially certified Chronometer (C.O.S.C.). We have developed this model with an especially thick case back enabling enamel cloisoné or any other decoration, as limited dedicated edition. The total 18K Gold wheight is approximately 160 grams. The case is water-resistant 3 atm for full protection of the movement.

Posts: 168 | Location: Nidau-Biel/Bienne, Switzerland | Registered: July 06, 2004
posted
Hi Jim,
Thanks for your interest. Dial photo of 12s Maximus follows.
Kind regards
Ray

12s Maximus

Posts: 77 | Location: Ashburton, New Zealand | Registered: June 06, 2004
posted
Here is my favorite Waltham, not because of the movement, but because of the hand painted dial. I have never looked at the back of it, just hoping it is by O'Hara.

Posts: 30 | Location: North Salt Lake, Utah U S A | Registered: February 05, 2003
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Cool Thanks, Ray - nice one ! Wink

Well, now . . . as to my favorite - that's a tuff call for a Waltham guy for any number of different reasons - but - if I hafta choose just one:

It's #43 of the first hundred Waltham Ball ORRS 16 size Hunters
(photo credit/s to John LaCambria, previous owner)

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
and . . .

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
My favorite Waltham is a M1892 Vanguard with a complicated "pat app'd for" dial shown on page 22 of the 2003 edition of Shugart and a 3-hinge coin silver case made by the Invisible Joint Case Co. I have seen these cases written up in the Bulletin and they are apparently a fairly scarce item.

I hesitate to post photos of it because the dial has hairlines and repaired edge chips and the case is a bit beat up in the center section and could use a buff. My M1892 would definitely be the ugly duckling of this group of beautiful watches you guys have put up, but I still think its a cool watch.

If anyone would like to see it, let me know and I'll photograph it.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed,

Just go ahead and post the picture. We all love to see watches!!

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Ever since Lindell started this thread I have been trying to choose which Waltham is my favorite. After over 35 years collecting Walthams this is a pretty tough choice, although I could narrow it down to several. I decided to show this one - a moderately high-grade Riverside-A movement surrounded by an elaborate (if not gaudy) dial and enamel-trimmed (green, blue & black) case from the early 20s. The Swiss-made metal dial has enamel cartouche for the numbers.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
all these watches are great!

Jerry,some one loved European dials on that one!I would never have guessed it as a American watch from the front!

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
OK Jeff, here is my "ugly duckling" Vanguard M1892, S/N 9526631, cira 1900 according to Shurgart. Note the "Complicated" dial (see Shugart p. 22) and hidden hinge case by the Invisible Joint Case Co. (4-oz coin silver).

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Side view of case at 6 o'clock. Look Ma, no hinges!

Best Regards,

Ed

Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Cool . . . Very . . . Cool !!

Thanks for sharing a doubly unique dial & case combo, Ed - Wink

posted
Ed,

You are very correct!!

That is a cool watch!!! Cool Cool

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Those are some beautiful watches above. Of course I love Larry's rare Ferguson early-pattern dial -- it's Waltham and it's 12-size Big Grin

Can I be forgiven for posting a second favorite? The first one was favored for outside appearance. This one speaks with the simple elegance of an uncluttered glass enamel dial and a plain polished gold case. The movement in the next post ...

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
The "American Watch Co." grade 21-jewel bridge model (this one in 12-size) sports a simple, fine finish of the bridges, raised gold settings, polished gold gear train, recessed-hub steel escape wheel, three pairs of diamond endstones, and polished and chamfered steel work. These were almost never listed in the common sales catalogs. I have only seen it listed once, above the Riverside Maximus, with the unique notation "Price quoted on application".

IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
I know I have posted this picture before but this is my one Waltham keeper It is a 14 size Maximus in a 14K white gold case

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
The movement

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
posted
My favorites are Model 92s. Seems to be a great example of elegance in design. I have five or six (can't remember). Anyone have a fourth wheel pinion (or 4th wheel complete) for an 845?

Barry B

Posts: 15 | Location: Fairfax, Virginia in the USA | Registered: July 24, 2003
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Here's another 12s for Jerry Treiman & it very well may become my "favourite" Waltham:

23j Riverside Maximus, Colonial Series, 12s w/14s dial, 14k signed HC, & btw - it's #87 of only 100 produced.

Thanks to Jerry for certifying it as "the real deal" as well as Lindell for attempting to enhance the eBay photos until I get set up to shoot my own.