• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

birmingham special illinois watch co. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a watch, 17 jewel serial#5074748,casing serial#11474336.i would like to find out some information on this watch

Posts: 6 | Location: Louisiana in the USA | Registered: January 30, 2012
posted
Hi Andrew,
Your watch appears to be a 16 size, pendant set , 17j Mdl & Grade 305, approximately 151,600 made. The Grade 305 was Illinois most widely made medium grade movement, and a lot of them were Private Label watches.
Hope this helps you,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
I have pictures. 3 more to come. I would like to know as much as possible about it. Where would I go or who would I talk to. My great uncle recovered it from a german soldier in WW1

posted
Pic 2. Insides.

posted
Pic 3. Thank you for your input. All input is HIGHLY appreciated.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
It looks like a very good condition watch except it needs a bow to go around the crown to affix a chain to. The bow is missing.

Also this watch, movement # 5074748 was made by the Illinois Watch Co. in their factory in 1928. So we can say it wasn't around for WWI. It is a Birmingham Special that is a private labeled watch made for a special order customer.

Your question ; "Where would I go or who would I talk to", I hope have been answered. It's perfectly OK to ask questions, show your watch, and legally own it anywhere in the world.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Thank you so very much. You have been such a help.

posted
Andrew,
The manufacture date on the watch was approximately 1927 give or take a couple of years.
That would seem to discount part of the story about WW1. It is a nice looking watch and case, and will make a great heirloom for the family.
Bill
Oh I didn't notice in Busters quote the date of manufacture.

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
i missed 1,it was in the 2nd world war.