posted
# 2

Sheila

12world-time

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Woweee, Shiela!
That is one cool watch dial! Cool

Who is the maker of this one, and could you please show the movement?

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
OH Phil, How I wish I could! I found this on a site while searching, and just had to show it. I thought it was outstanding too. I don't think it was for sale, but knew you guys would like it a lot.
Sorry I couldn't do more, but it is nice to look at huh?

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Marion Watch Company and the U.S. Watch Co. were noted for dials like these. They made one with the entire Lord's prayer printed inside just 1/2 of the seconds bit. They were a good sales gimmick.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Member 456
posted
Not exactly world time, but US time in various cities before time zones were in use. From the Empire City Watch Co, the 2nd (and last) resurrection of the U.S. Watch Co. at Marion. The number inside the circles is the time in that city when it's noon in NY and the number underneath is the distance to that city from New York.

P.S. If anyone has one of these (watch and/or dial) please let me know!

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Wowie-Zowie!

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
posted
Hi all -

The dial Sheila showed at the head of this thread was on an 83 model Waltham, and sold at auction in October 2001.

IHC Member 456
posted
I thought it looked familiar (the Waltham world time dial). Unless there is a second one, it originally sold on ebay. I saw it after the auction was completed. I only wish I had seen it earlier!
Mike

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
I noticed World Time Watch brings World Record price -- $7,975.00.

In what sense is that a record price? For that type of watch/watch & dial? or ???

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
IHC Member 456
posted
I would say $150 for the watch and case, and $7825 for the dial!
Mike

Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
The second dial is fascinating, particularly the differences in time from one place to another. I wonder how exact they were, in terms of the exact position of the sun, whatever technique was used to calculate relative time.

Do you know Michael if there were regularities, and if so what they were? I love that dial you have. Where did you get it?

Jessica