Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hunter case from Youngstown, Ohio "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
OK

A little help with this case. Was Brenner a well known jeweler in Youngstown?

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I don't know how well known he was ,but I have a 16 Zenith movement with both dial and movement marked.

Tom

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Keith - does your case hold a Waltham movement? Brenner seems to have ordered a number of private-label watches from Waltham. Most of the Waltham - Brenner movements came from runs of assorted specials. I am conducting research on the various special orders and would appreciate the serial numbers and descriptions of any of these.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Jerry
No, the case does not have a Waltham in it. I purchased a group of South Bends and this case is holding a very nice 16s grade 212 with a colored dial.

Tom
Is the Zenith a hunter movement? Could you post a picture of the movement side.

Thanks

Posts: 856 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Keith, The movement is an OF movement. Pic is attached.

Tom

posted
Keith, I was at my chapter meeting today and found another Brenner watch. THis one is an early Columbus, SN 12977. The dial is not Brenner marked, but is an early C W Co marked dial. This is an example of the early Swiss contract watches sold by D. Gruen before he began making movements on site. I was looking at my copy of Shugart in the Columbus and was surprised at the etching of a like movement on page 166 which is also a like Brenner marked movement. Problem is you can't make out the SN. My watch is c 1879, which would indicate that Brenner was in operation at least that early.

Our chapter meeting today was a joint meeting held with the Ohio chapter. One of their members stated that Brenner Jewelry Co was still in business in Youngstown.

Tom