Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Hillside "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Can anyone explain this to me, I have this Waltham Hillside watch, according to the date below it states a model 1884 , In Shugart 2004 P129 I cant find a 1884 SW 11J (However there is a M#FP ?) albeit all the same $ value just trying to pin it down. According to the data below from the ledgers there where only 200 made, surly there where a lot more of these made than that?. One thing I find of interest is in the pictures below The case looks to be original and a very attractive triple hinged heavy 10K solid gold, another item I find of interest is the unusual LS, given the gold hands would this have been more for the European sales. One last thing is the face measures 42mm, will check movement later.

The data shown is a combination of information from the Waltham handwritten ledgers and the printed serial number list (the Gray Book). Gray book information is highlighted in silver gray. Be sure to enter the number found on the watch mechanism and not the one on the case. This database only lists information on watch movements, not cases.
To enter observations click on the Model link. To see what the abbreviations mean consult the glossary (It will open in a new window.)

Start: 1/1/1886 End: 3/31/1886
First: 2838101 Last: 2838300
Model: 84 Name: Hillside
Material: U Grade: Hillside, NL
Size: 14 Size: 14
Plate: 3/4 Plate: 3/4
Jewelling: 3 Pairs Jewels: 7-13
Balance: Exp Bal: Patent Regulator
Style: Style: OF
Comment: SW OF Eng. EX
Source: AD Date: 1/3/2003

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Have just taken it out of the case and the movement plate is 42mm bottom plate steps down to 39.5 mm has a protruding LS lever and fixed male winding stem case ser No 666 AB and in circle 10C without crown & Movement 35.5g hope that helps a little

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Hillside movements were a very popular export model, and that is a standard setting lever for this model. The case is probably British, using a "C" instead of "K" for carat of gold. As you surmise, gold hands are also more common on export models. You will also note in the database comments "Eng.EX", probably for English Export.

The Hillside was quite common. The records indicate 200 movements in the production run your watch came from. However, if you search the database for "hillside" you will find many similar runs, first in the 1874 model and then in the 1884 model. So many of these have been melted down, though, or cased in silver, that yours is a nice example.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Dear Jerry,

Thanks for your response that all seems to drop into place about the Export UK model etc and as you say the movement with the solid gold case make a scarce example of this type. Would be interesting to find out what this is worth to a Waltham collector.

posted
Chris, Nice Watch...

Jerry,

I have this Bond St 14sz Waltham and was wondering if you have ever seen a winding set up like this. It is stem wind and set. Setting is done by pulling up on the crown and turning. When released the crown "springs" back to winding. Inside the case is a spring loaded lever that pushes a lever on the the movement to engage the setting. It appears to be like a pin set but is done with the crown..and case setup.. Ever see anything like that..??

John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002