Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Grade 59 17s HC Restored. Another WIN! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It is only because of the fellowship of IHC185 that such things as this can happen. I recovered this "old watch" some time back and while working on it last week, I managed to fracture the Pallet fork while trying to remove a broken safety pin. Well . . . when there are none of these Grade 59 watches "extant" in the flesh, let alone as parts, one wonders what comes next . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
So I contacted our very own Brian Cavanaugh and asked him about this. He replied that he had a partial parts movement with the Pallet fork but the staff was broken. VIOLA! The staff (a press fit) on mine was still good. For a modest sum, Brian sent me the part and IT WORKED!!!!

So thanks to Brian, IHC185 and perserverence another VERY "old" and Rare Elgin Lives on!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Elgin assigned 45,000 serial numbers (in the 400,001-500,00 range) and made some of these between 1874 and 1875. As this is a 17 size of special Key Wind Key Setting geometry, ELGIN ordered a Custom made 17s, 4 Hinge, swing crystal CASE! A coin silver beauty all original and Double signed "Elgin N W Co." on both outside covers!

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thank you Brian! Only with your help, and the "luck" of finding that an 18s Elgin Mainspring works fine have I been able to bring this beauty back to life! What a watch! It was uiniquely designed as a Minimal, 7 Jewel, Solid Steel Wheel "slow beat" (16,200 BPH) movement in a Pillar plate set with the pivots and end-cap Balance Jewels located on the Dial plate and top plate. A gutsy design gamble, but that way the Balance cock screw is used as a plate screw as well as one of the very uniquely designed Motor Barrel cover screws to hold the plates together.

The "click" is amazing, just floating in a cavity on the barrel cover and spring-loaded to the click wheel but with no pivot staff. The actual parts count on this watch is certainly below most dollar watches and it still keeps excellent time even today almost 150 years after it was made!

On the stand it stays within 10 seconds a day. Carried "at body temperature" I am sure it would be a reliable timepiece for most working and professional people. I fail to understand why it is "Pooh-Poohed" by the price guide as a $75.00 piece as the case is worth twice that alone!

posted
David-

Very nice example and very hard to find indeed. Your's looks to be about as clean of one as I've seen. My father has a couple of these around 500K serial number. One is a stemwind version (needs staff) and one is a keywind version (rough, parts only).

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jared, I may have a staff for that Model 2 you mentioned. I need the S/N to check that. One of the crazy things here is the book shows my Model 1 as a rear Key wind AND Setting, but mine is a Rear Key Wind, front Key Set.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
A beautiful example of a very old watch....and a very interesting discussion and presentation, David....Thanks for showing this great old watch....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
David-

Serial number is 500,291 on the one needing the staff.

Thanks,

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
Picture of Brian C.
posted
David, nice watch. Parts for these are wicked hard to find. We got lucky this time. Nice job.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jared, that is a Grade 11 watch. The staff is an 860. They are not even listed in either of my Elgin parts cabinets. Must have been "special order". Maybe Brian has a balance wheel assembly.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
I think Brian has the #860 staff. Jared, if you e-mail me the measurements of your staff, I'll check mine.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002