• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rare one of a kind Waltham 18 size 1892 model. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I know a watchmaker who owns an 18 size Waltham model 1892 model (23J Vanguard grade) movement with serial number 13,000,00 (13 million). It is marked "Mascot". Pristine double sunk arabic dial marked "Waltham". The movement is pristine as well as it has never been cased and is still in shipping tin. Watchmaker thinks it is worth a king's ransom but does anyone out there have an idea what could be a reasonable offer???

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I certainly can't put a value on this watch, but it has some provenance that adds to its interest. While doing research in the Waltham records at the Baker Library (Harvard) I found a notation that 18-size 23-jewel Vanguard #13,000,000 was placed in the factory museum in February 1905. What happened to the "factory museum" and how your watchmaker got this one would also be interesting to know. Did any other museum pieces survive with it? I consider it a very desireable and important piece. It would be wonderful if this movement could be documented with pictures before it fades from knowledge again. I believe that anyone lucky enough to own it should keep it uncased, as it has been for over 100 years.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
I had always wondered if there was a Royal Robbins connection to this(thinking of a 13 jewel grade "Royal". Just a hunch). As faras I know, my friend still has the movement. It was not explained to me how he got it. I'm interested in buying the whole wtahc estate.It include en extensive Swartchild American material system. He's open to selling, I have know idea whatto offer(and would need backing!)

posted
As I remember it was the usual Vanguard damaskeening, diamond end stone, gold jewel settings etc. The "Mascot" was where the "Vanguard" would have been. There were no other "museum" pices that I remember among his accummulation of pocket watches-- (And a treasure trove of American staffs)!! My friend had thought about casing the movement in a 14K case he had but I recommended leaving it in the shipping case.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

An amazing find Bill, not only would I leave it "as-found" due to the historical significance... but I wouldn't even breathe on it!!! Big Grin

Hope you're successful in the acquisition, we all look forward to seeing it.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
While looking at a MASCOT watch case 16s I remembered this post and it made me wonder if you ever purchased the watch?

also........

I also wondered if you could get pictures of the watch movement, even if you don't or didn't buy it?

I have been curious about this one for a while, so I thought I would ask.

Sheila

Mascotw

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004