Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New "Fat Boy" dialed watch. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Here's one I swooped down on a few minutes ago on ebay. It's a 21 jewel Bunn Special 60 HOUR Type IIIA all dressed up with a "Fat Boy" dial and very nice Sangamo style hands. Looks to be a nice first model case as well and looks all original.

Hope I didn't snipe one of our members but these don't come around often. My apoligies if I did.

I don't know how many of these were made in this configuration but the numbers have to be very low. I have never seen any documentation on the numbers and don't know if there ever was but these don't come up often.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Case looks to be in fairly nice condition.....

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Very clean looking movement with all the engraving intact....from 1928

posted
Beautiful watch, Steve.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Eric,

I find these examples as some of the most beautiful watches that Illinois made. You can't find a more bold dial than these, they just reach out and slap you across the face. They had to use those big Sangamo hands or it just would not have looked right. I spotted this from that little picture they use with the listing....very hard to miss and the seller did not realize what he had, from an estate sale.

Steve

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Steve,

Nice item in great condition!

Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Nice one Steve. A little knowledge goes a long way in this hobby.

John

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Steve,
Every Illinois collector should have a Fat Boy dial in his-her collection. Thanks to Lindell I have a Fat Boy dial in my collection.
Tony

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Here's an update.....

I won this watch last Friday afternoon and here it is the following Monday and it arrived.

This watch is simply spectacular. It is right up there with the 161A I bought off of Lindell a year or so ago. I don't like to use the term "mint" so maybe "time capsule" would be a better choice of words. It looks like it was sitting in the jewelers display case last week. Truly a magnificant example.

The case numbers fit right in with the database.

Steve

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Steve,

I just added this “Fat Boy” to my collection. The condition is not as good as yours but it’s not bad. The dial has one hairline at 29 minutes and the crystals scratched.

Thanks for your posts and research on Illinois watches,

RR

Serial Number 5060900

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET, gotta love it!

Posts: 311 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2011
posted
Can't get enough of those dials! Great addition to your collection Steve!

Posts: 357 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 05, 2008