Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 996 production date "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I have a "new" Hamilton that I have been on the hunt for for quite some time, a 16S 19J gr.996.The serial # is 1525342.I can't seem to nail down when it was made, I looked it up in the Gelson list, it says 1923-4, but all the other sources I tried show it being from 1917-18.That's quite a difference.Would anyone have any idea which would be closest?I realize that the dates listed are approximate, but I thought Hamilton numbers were more "figured out" by now.It's really a beautiful watch that I'm proud to own, I'd just like to know the year it came to life.Thanks, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008

posted
roughly 1918

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Theodore, If you look at the Gleason list, or the IHC185 list here on page 17 you cannot get anymore accurate that that.

IHC185 list

That shows it to me, as you indicated, 1923 to 1924. It really looks to be a 1923 as 1525001 is the starting number for 1923 and your number is 1525342. That is only 341 in to the year.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks to Jon & Larry.I guess it really don't amount to a hill of beans when it was made,I'm happy to have finally found one.Thanks again, Ted.

IHC Life Member
posted
Since there were only around 23,000 of them made you have quite a find Theodore.

Congratulations!! Smile

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010

posted
The fat book says 1918 and Gelson something different... Larry was around back then, so he probably has a better feel for the correct date

Next time I shouldn't be so lazy and just thumb through the fat book Eek

Big Grin

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks guys!I'm less used to looking up Hamiltons, I'm more of a Hampden/Waltham collector.I'm trying to end up with the RR grade Hamiltons I like and can afford, though.I have a 940,936,978L, 2 992's, and now this 996.Now to find a 972, that should be easier.Can't help it, I'm addicted! Take care, Ted.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Just remember this: The Gelson List is the most authoritative Hamilton movement number, grade and production date information we have. Everything else, including the various watch books, the online databases and the so-called handwritten Hamilton sales ledgers are much less accurate and should not be relied upon.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thank you, Ed.I'm more familiar with the Waltham list, which gets a little squirrely sometimes.I just assumed the Hamilton lists were more accurate.Regards, Ted.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Lindell has previously pointed out the discrepancies between the Watch Guide and the Gelson Lists as follows:

The Hamilton numbers in Shugart and elsewhere are flawed because they are based upon creative guesswork. They simply took the total production and divided that by the years in business which assigns a guesstimate to each year.

Hope this helps,

Debbie
Smile

Posts: 5232 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Debbie, I missed that somehow!Best Regards, Ted.

posted
I certainly agree that Gelson's list is the best available. The question I have always had is what information/data did he base it on and why does that not seem to available anywhere but in his list.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011

posted
And to add to that Robert - Does the "Watch Guide" still continue to print incorrect data for the Hamilton Serial numbers? Knowing there is a Gelson list that is more accurate... Seems unfair to folks that purchase the book with their hard earned money to only be exposed to data that was devised via "guesswork"...

Not having every year of the "Watch Guide" by Shugart, but the ones I do have contain purported incorrect production dates for Hamilton serial #'s is vexing at best.

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Mr. Gelson was President of the Hamilton Watch Co. and transcribed the information from the original Hamilton production records, and other "lists" did not. That's why the Gelson List is the most accurate.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004

posted
From: http://lancasteronline.com/obi...John-F--Gelson-.html

John F. Gelson Former Chairman/CEO Hamilton Watch Co. Inc.

John F. Gelson, Lancaster, former Chairman/CEO of Hamilton Watch Co., Inc., died at his home Friday, Nov. 4, 2005. He was 74 years old.

IHC Member 1110
posted
I too wonder why the fat book and the other list sources don't base their's on the Gelson list also.That's why I asked about my watch,I was confused about the different dates.You figure, on these Hamilton watches which are so popular among collectors,that the true production date might affect the dollar value or determine whether a certain Hamilton is all original or not.This difference may really bother some people.Thank you all, Ted.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Let's clear up some misconceptions, what follows is long, but you may find it worth reading.

When we first posted the Gelson List in 2006 one piece of information I shared was how nearly all the "serial number lists" we see published in books and on the Internet are inherently flawed because of the way they were created. Since the records of most watch companies were long ago discarded the easiest way to "guesstimate" approximately when this or that movement number was built was to simply take the highest known movement number, divide that by the years in business and thereby assign a percentage to each and every year.

It is important to realize that practically every list you will find in our hobby was arrived at in that manner. But a problem comes to light with, for example Hamilton which to use but one situation, in the 1920s assigned a large block of numbers beginning with 3 million for their about to be introduced new 12-size line of watches. This occurred in 1924 at the point when production was in the low 2 millions but other previously blocked numbers were still below 2 million such as the Grade 996 which spurred Ted's question at the beginning of this topic.

Rather than rail against anyone or engage in a belief that something dishonest is afoot, I say... "don't get upset, get educated!" ...because it would be far better to actually study and hopefully begin to understand the numbers. Begin on the Gelson List at our numbered page 19 where the numbers are in a form of orderly progression during nominally 1923 production. But then look more closely at the right column after 198001-1989400 dated as 1923 suddenly the 2 millions appear, assigned to several Grades that date to 1913-1917 production.

On the left column of Gelson List numbered page 20 the numbers begin with 1926 at 2385001 and go smoothly until 2504001 which are Grade 950 in 1934-36 and then we are back in 1928 production. In the right column the numbers begin in 1929 and go to as late as 1940 and end the right column with those 12-size watches I mentioned previously we are back in the 1920s again. This methodology is important to understand.

You can see that happened due to what they referred to as "blocking" wherein a group of numbers were assigned to a specific movement or group of movements without regard to the numerical order of unrelated movements.

Study further on Gelson List numbered page 21 where this becomes even more confusing to anyone who, using the logic of the computer age in which we live, thinks as some appear to, that all watches were produced in numerical order, as anyone reading this now knows, they were not. This same "blocking" method was common throughout the watch industry, we can see it in the Hamilton numbers because the late John Gelson saw fit to make these numbers available to us in a typewritten format that we can easily use to pinpoint the production numbers.

Previously in this topic it was asked why the Gelson List is not reproduced in the "Complete Guide to Watches" and all one need do is look at the volume of information on the 23 pages and the answer becomes obvious, it would take up a vast amount of space! The way the movement numbers appear in the watch guide with an approximation or "guesstimate" as I call it is fine for the casual observer, it is only those of us who want more precise information that are willing to pour over the 23 pages of the Gelson List to satisfy our obsession for details.

Many beginning collectors make the mistake of believing that American Industry always worked the way it does today, you can see that is a serious misconception which can cause a great deal of confusion.

I hope this explanation puts things in the proper perspective.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002

posted
Maybe not the entire list of Gelson List should be transposed to the Fat Book; however, the estimated production dates for Hamilton could be changed to reflect more accurate dates. Seems like a simple task to provide folks with more accurate dates. Plus, that information only takes up a 1/3 of a page.

Basically - that was the gist of my inquiry...

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Please read my entire post above and also review the 23 pages of the Gelson List and you will see the editors of the "Complete Guide to Watches" did the most logical thing for the average person.

As I tried so hard to explain step-by-step in considerable detail above... "The way the movement numbers appear in the watch guide with an approximation or "guesstimate" as I call it is fine for the casual observer, it is only those of us who want more precise information that are willing to pour over the 23 pages of the Gelson List to satisfy our obsession for details."

I spent over 2 hours writing something I thought would explain this, please read it carefully.

Those who want to learn should be able to understand.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you Lindell!

I was going to try to explain this, as you had spent MORE than two hours explaining it to me when I started this, and was making all kinds of mistakes trying to get the years correct in my auctions.

I knew it was better not to, as I could not explain it so that everyone could understand. Well after reading your well thought out, researched post, I am so glad I didn't!

Thank you again Lindell for clearing it up for everyone so that we can all understand it better.

Your time on this one is much appreciated.

Regards,
Larry

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thank you, Lin, makes sense now.I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers.Best Regards, Ted.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Besides our own data Lindell has maintained for us in the on-line IHC185 Hamilton data file, the only other source for the Gelson list I have is the 23 Page March 1, 1999 dated addenda Roy Ehrhardt added to last printed last 108 Page editions of his 1981 book: "Production figures with grade and serial numbers: HAMILTON WATCH CO. Identification and price guide".

In the best world, maybe the price guide could add 23 more pages too, but as Lin says;

"The way the movement numbers appear in the watch guide with an approximation or "guesstimate" as I call it is fine for the casual observer, it is only those of us who want more precise information that are willing to pour over the 23 pages of the Gelson List to satisfy our obsession for details."

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007