Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton pocket watch cases "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
About what time did Hamilton phase out the long stem/pendent cases and replace them with the short crown versions?

I always thought it was done right after WW1, but in reading through the old Hamilton catalog scans, I noticed that there were several watches being offered in the 1925 listings that still had the old 'antique' long stem pendents, such as the 974. I then have seen and handled what I thought were factory cased watches from themid 20's that were short crown versions. What would be considered correct on a watch of, say, a 1927 vintage Hamilton 974?

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Up to this time most Hamilton watches were not factory cased. They were cased by the customer who chose a movement and a case at the jewelers.

You see the first factory cased 992 was not until October 1924.

There were some watches that were cased earlier at the Hamilton factory. For example, in 1915 the 950, 990, 994 954, 956 and 952 were sold cased. Only the 954 and 956 were sold cased only.

The 974 was never factory cased. The 974 Special was introduced in a Traffic Special case in 1928.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you Don. It was the 974 I was specifically interested in finding out about, and I have already seen and enjoyed reading the string regarding the different 992B cases that you linked me. SmileIt's amazing to me just how slowly it seemed that Hamilton grasped the idea of offering cased watches, and then offered so many variations when that idea finally took root.

Thank you for replying. Big Grin

HIGH regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002