Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Let's talk price! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Let's talk price of pocket watches back in the good ole railroad days. Smile

I've read railroad pocket watches went for $1, $2. $3. and so forth. I'm sure plenty of you have many stories, links and even ads you can post as well as provide regarding the price of railroad watches in many times past! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Let's hear what you have to say regarding those prices! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Maybe someone can parallel prices of railroad pocket watches - back in the days vs. today's prices and show what was relative back then.

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Stephanie,

I found a bunch of adds on Waynes Elgin website. You can spend hours going through them.

Enjoy!
http://elginwatches.org/scans/sales_catalogs/m_index.html

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
When comparing 'then and now' prices for watches you have to consider the inflation rate for the time period, or think about the average weekly wage then compared to that of today, or the price of the watch as a percentage of the prevailing wage. Railroad grade watches were never inexpensive.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I have an 1897 Sear and Roebuck reproduction catalog that lists 21 and 23 jewel railroad watches from Elgin, Hampden, and Waltham, and all in the 21 to 24 dollar price range, less case. Pretty hefty fees back before the turn of the 20th century! Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Kent Singer and I wrote a couple of columns on the mail order watch business contained in the August and October 2000 Bulletins. There are a bunch of ads reproduced that showed the prices for a number of railroad approved watches in the 1880 to the 1950 period.
Just to give one example, in December 1926, the Royal Diamond & Watch Co. offered the 16 size 21 jewel Illinois Bunn Special for $55.00 to $65.00, the Hamilton 992 at $55.00 to $65.00, depending on the case and the 21 jewel B. W. Raymond at $55.00. A deposit of $2.00 delivered the watch to your door and you then paid the balance in 12 equal monthly installments. Even during the Depression, these watches, while lower in price than those sold earlier, were never cheap.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
When you find a watch ad that is dated and with a selling price, use this link to calculate the price of a watch with today's dollar.

CPI Calculator

Watches were pretty expensive even in the GOOD OLD DAYS!!

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Life Member (L12)

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very neat calculator Phil!!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Using the calculator that Phil provided, that would make the prices shown in my earlier post from $573.62 to $677.91 in 2003 dollars.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Aaron,

Thanks for the link on ads. Really neat! Roll Eyes

John A.,
Thanks

Mark C,
Your 1897 Sears & Roebuck repro catalog sounds interesting. And yes, that was a hefty price for pocket watches back then.

Ed,
Thanks for your input and info. $55. to $65. for Bunn Specials back in 1926! Wow!! And delivery fee of $2 to deliver a watch to your door. Ah, the good ole days!!

Phil D,
Great link to CPI Calculations Roll Eyes Roll Eyes- wish it would show earlier than 1913. Roll Eyes Thanks again! Smile

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Stephanie,

Here is a link to the earliest price calculator that I could find. This should about cover all the bases.

INFLATION CALCULATOR STARTING IN 1800 Wink

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Life Member (L12)

posted
Phil,

Thanks for the link to price calculators, 1800-2002. Yep, that covers it! Thanks again. Smile

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979