Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois "DPL" Movement "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I just received this nice running (very dirty) 18s 11 Jewel Illinois Watch with "DPL" engraved on the Barrel Plate. What/Who/Where/Why "DPL" Anybody?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Fraternal Organization?

Government Agency?

Someone's initials?

Many of our questions may never be answered, but they sure are interesting!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
"D. P. L." all I can think of is "Diplomat" ???

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The serial number 1228781 c.a. 1895 is from a 200 piece "run" of 11 Jewel movements just prior (in serial#) to some 7 Jewel Independent Watch Co. Movements of the same series.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I found lots of DPL references, but none that had the Icon like the one on your watch, except the one for the Detroit Public Library, and the history of it is listed at the URL below.
I have a picture, but can't get it into my latest picture program. I will try to post it, in the form it's in. May work, may not. It's png ?

http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/about_dpl/DPL_History.htm

Sheila

DPL Detroit Public Library

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Thank you Sheila, I have been in touch with them and will reply any progress.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Sheila!

You are always so patient and deligent in doing research and always finding answers.

Debbie
Smile

Posts: 5247 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Now that is interesting, a watch with a Detroit Public Library insignia!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of Brian C.
posted
If you look at the insignia on Sheil's logo, it doesn't look the same as on David's movement. What say you?
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Brian,
Ya know, I think your right! I took a closer look, and it may be that the letters that overlap are a little different. Real Close, but not quite the same.

I wish we could tell which letters are the ones on top or how they are actually represented, then I could check all the letters a little better.

I'm still looking, and I'll let you know if I find out anything else.

Brian, Good Eye!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004