Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

When were Montgomery dials introduced? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I recently acquired a 1902 Elgin Model 8, 18s, Veritas watch. The dial has minor chips at the edge and at the seconds dial. It's nicer than a lot of Model 8 dials but not as primo as I would like for this watch.

I have a very nice Model 8 Montgomery dial (the type without a 6 on the seconds dial). I'm wondering if this dial would be period correct for my 1902 watch.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Posts: 149 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
Chris, I believe Mongomery started making his design for dials around 1895-96. He patented them and they were common later on around 1904-5. There is info available if you search on Goggle but a 1902 movement should be fine with a Monty dial.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
Mostly what you run into in the early 1900's is the correct type font for the word "Elgin", in the late 1890's and early 1900's Elgin used lettering that had filigree on each side <<Elgin>> then you started seeing the block type Elgin in the 1905-1910 range. I don't see an issue with the Montgomery dial but the font on the dial might be an issue.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
I looked at my dial this morning to see what font was used and was chagrinned to find it is not a Monty after all. It's the one with the red five-minute numbers and black marks for the minutes in between.

The name "Elgin" on the dial is in the block letters of the later style. The dial on the 1902 watch has the filigree, which is consistant with Claude's comment on the font.

I'm grateful to know this little detail (even if the dial isn't what I had thought it was).

Posts: 149 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: September 23, 2009
posted
That is a tough situation, the font type makes things problematic, getting a 3/4 plate 18s and the correct font puts you into the slim to to very slim range. If the spare dial looks better you might put it on since most people would not know the difference, and keep your eyes out for a Monty with the <<Elgin>> font.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
That's nice to know Claude! THANKS!! Smile

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
posted
Elgin started switching from <<Elgin>> to Elgin (block) sometime in the 1906-1907 are at least that is when you really start to see the block Elgin font showing up in ads. I had a nice 368 GMW movement minus a dial and tried for several years to get a dial and you had two choices, give up body parts or find a toasted 3/4 plate 18s at a price under what you have to sell body parts for, I finally just gave up and sold the movement. In the case of the Veritas most people would not know that a 1902 Veritas should have the <<Elgin>> type dial, so I don't usually tell someone to do somethink "hookie" but in the short term I would go with the best dial and keep looking for the correct one, hopefully you have spare body parts!!!! LOL.