• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

16 size Waltham with "Bay State" dial "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently bought a 16 size Waltham open face grade 630 17J pocket watch. Serial number 12,598,034 dates watch to 1903-04. I was intrigued by the dial which is a simple single sunk hard enamel arabic numeral version but with the curious signature: Bay State, Am. Waltham Watch Co. There were two case companies with those names that were merged in the 1890s. Anyone out there have any ideas about this interesting dial signature??

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
In "American Pocket Watches Beginning to End" Meggers, it shows a Bay State USA that New York Standard made watches for as a private label.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
As Massachusetts is nicknamed the "Bay State", there must be a connection to the Private label and their pride with keeping the American Watch Co. name on the dial to. I think I have some "Bay State" Watch Cases too.
Can you post a picture of the Dial?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Brian C.
posted
I have never seen a Waltham Watch with a Bay State dial on it.
William, how many dial feet does it have?
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
I don't own a digital camera but dial is Waltham factory 3-foot dial. I bought the watch on eBay just over a week ago.I figured the watch was just too interesting. I recased the movement into a display case. Nicer than normal 630 grade. Item no. is 130270241120. Look under completed auctions, good view of dial and movement there.

live link

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004