• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Model 1899 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello, I am trying to discover some information on a Waltham pocket watch I purchased just lately.
It's a size 16, model 1899, 7J, I think 1924?, movement stamped A.W.W.Co. Waltham,U.S.A. serial # 24737163. The case is a Keystone gold 10K gold filled, serial # 9628987.I will try to post some pics below:

Posts: 65 | Location: Mississippi in the USA | Registered: March 16, 2008
posted
movement:

posted
back:

posted
inside case:

posted
crown:

posted
case Side:

posted
I just can't find any information on it as my resources are limited. I would appreciate any information one could provide. Thank You,
Stevan Tiffin

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
You have a nice basic 7 Jewel model 1908 Waltham (later rev. of 1899) from a 15,000 piece run of assigned s/n's 24731001 - 24746000 ordered for production in 1924.

Here is the interesting part of this, as I see it, the Keystone case is a "Railroad" type case which would have normally been used on a higher Jeweled, possible "Railroad Grade" watch. As the case markings look original to this movement, it would be no surprise that the original buyer bought that more "classy" case for this watch for appearances, and saved a few bucks getting the 7 Jewel movement which in the "roaring twenties" was still being well made.
The dial looks pretty nice too, an interesting piece.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
You have an interesting dial as well as case there! A bit unusual and not seen very often at all. I like it Stevan, thanks for showing.

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Well Now...That is some interesting comments. I really appreciate the feedback. I sorta figured there was something just a "little unique" about this piece. I guess back in the pre-depression era you had to save where you could. Getting that way today too! The dial does look a little unique too. I have been searching around for a chain to go with this watch because I plan on carrying it. I got one on the way and another I'm looking at.
Thanks David and thank you Stephanie..
Steve Tiffin

posted
This Waltham has turned out to be the most accurate time piece, I have ever in my 57 years of life owned. It just amazes me to be so old and still ticking away and keeping the most accurate time.
Stevan