Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Flat hairspring" defined... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Sheila,

Forget the loupe, it doesn't work well enough.
I've tried my binoccular microscope, a pc scanner and all routes in between, and a reader of some sort is the only really satisfactory way to go.

How many 'page'images are on a fiche sheet?

If there's around 40 or less, you 'may' get away with around 25x magnification.
If there's around 100 'pages' you'll need around 40x mag minimum if you're not going to end up with migraines reading the things, so do make sure you get a machine with suitable lenses. If possible, take the fiche with you to read on it before you buy.
Some machines have a double lens facility, but only one lens fitted (40x if lucky), most are single lens machines only though and often only around 25x.

If you're buying a used machine you may not be able to buy additional lenses, so take care with what you buy as you'll be stuck with whatever's in it.
Even if you can get replacement lenses, they can often cost as much as a machine.
If buying new, go for a higher mag'!

I have a 'Case IV' portable dual lens reader (25x & 40x), and you Really Do need 40x on some of those high frame number sheets!
I have a load of Seiko fiche (100+ frames /sheet)and they're almost impossible to read even on 40x as the detail is so fine.

A 'hand held' viewer is almost useless unless there's only around 20 or so frames per sheet, and very tiring to use if you need to do a lot of viewing. They're only around 20x and not really up to the job.

If you have a scanner, I believe there are attachments available enabling you to get images onto your pc, but I've never used one.

Another alternative would be for you to get a library or a 'Family History Research Centre' to print off the images for you on a reader/printer, may be a less expensive route for you long term, especially if the fiche are a 'one off'.
Hope this helps.

Best regards
John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Oh no Frown

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004