Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Niello Pocket Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 935
posted
Are Niello pocket watches collectible? Like many members, I received in the mail a flyer offering various models of this type. All seemed to be Swiss made, included Longines and Omega, and ranged in price from $250 to $450.

Posts: 175 | Location: Davis, California USA | Registered: March 10, 2007
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Mortimer
Some American Niello cases were also produced. Some say the American ones were of better quality.

Schugarts 2008 Price Guide pages 603-606 has some nice example.

I typically see them with lower grade (15 jewels or less) movements.

In some ways they are like enamel cases and often come with chips that significantly decrease their value. I bought one on Ebay in which someone had tried to clean the case and took off most of the finish--it was very hard to tell from the picture.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC Member 935
posted
Thanks, Bob. I will study Shugart and otherwise keep my eyes open to learn more. Regards.

Mort

posted
Mort, in a word Yes!
They're not too common and the really nice examples fetch premium prices.

Many of these watches with very decorative cases came with lowish number jewels movements, because the Case was the Statement - Not the movement, so I wouldn't let what is termed a 'Low Grade' movement faze you.
These were made as a fashion accessory of the day, and the bit that ticked was mostly secondary to the job.

I know they also came with quality movements, but these are generally out of the price range of the average collector.

As Bob says' damaged goods are worth significantly less, but they do have a following because they're generally more 'affordable'!

Good luck with your hunt!

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Member 935
posted
Thank, John. Your guidance and encouragement is most helpful. I am about to begin my study and my quest, and I find the anticipation exciting.

Mort