Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The Aristocrat! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
I saw a great movie a few days ago about a joke called "The Aristocrats". Watch coincidence or the work of some higher power? I don't know. Illinois made, uh, a bunch of named watches. A lot of the named watches were 12s. And one was named the Aristocrat! I love it. I bought one maybe two years ago. Here's a picture of the watch, didn't catch the nice damaskeening very well but I hardly ever do.

Frank"407"Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Member 708
posted
Hi Frank,
Beautiful watch! I have two Marquis Aristocrats. One has the original box and papers. I love mine too! they are nice watches!

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Steve - I believe you must have the Marquis Autocrat (not aristocrat). These were the thin model (3rd series) and are very nicely made movements. Another noble-sounding name I have seen in Illinois is a "Patrician" (my example shown in THIS THREAD).

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
I think Jerry is right (isn't he always?). I've seen several of the Autocrats, Marquis or otherwise, but not the Aristocrat.

Frank"407"Kusumoto

IHC Member 708
posted
OK mine is the Autocrat, sorry, I have not seen the Aristoctat either

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
But ... Steve, can you post a picture of yours? Not only are the movements nice, but they usually have great cases and dials, too. I don't see many with the original box, either.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Hi,
ForThose interested I have a 16s Illinios grade 305
ON7P 17j #3162115 Adjusted(1919).
Movement marked: Aristocrat.Unusual Damaskeening.
Dial Marked: Illinios
Aristocrat
Both words Illinios and aristocrat are slightly curved. Further
The dial is double sunk arabic numerals
and red 5 minute numerals.

I personlly don't remember if have seen another
yet I don't believe its rare.
bernie levine

Posts: 43 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: October 04, 2005
posted
correction to my previous Aristocrat post
The production date is 1917 and not 1919.

bernie levine

Posts: 43 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: October 04, 2005
posted
Here are 3 more 12-size 17-j Illinois with names.
Vim. Damascening looks like pieces of rope or cord.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Roosevelt. Back plate has no damascening and is just satin or matte polished

posted
127. I understand this was made after Hamilton acquired Illinois. The winding wheels are flat with damascening, and don't have the high polish and milled and polished sunk area, no gold wheels, and the balance cap jewel has no screws showing. In my opinion, the movement is not as attractive as the older true Illinois models.

posted
Gentlemen,

I purchased a 12s Illinois Diplomat earlier this year. It is a 21 jewel movement adj to 3 positions. I also just purchased a 12s Aristocrat much like Frank's. I will post pictures of both once the watch arrives.

John

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
posted
How much for the diplomat? Do you consider trades? Need a 992?

Picture of Jim Carroll
posted
Here are some of the names the Size 12's went under.
Accuratus, Adonis, Aristocrat, Ariston, Ariston Jr., Ben Franklin, Capitol, Central, Commodore Perry, Criterion, Elite, Executive, Federal, Forum, Governor, Great Northern Special, Interstate Chrono, James A Garfield, Laclede, Marvel, Master, Monarch, Peerless, Penn Special, Precise, Railroad Dispatcher, Rajah, Relgis, Rockland, Roosevelt,
Sachem, Salco, Santa Fe Special, Stanley, Sterling, Stewart Special, Sturdy, Superior, The Deluxe, The Garland, The Harding, The Union Special, Time King, Transit, Victor, Vim, Wonder.

Jim Carroll

Posts: 77 | Location: Inverclyde Scotland | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Jim Carroll
posted
Just a few more 12's while I'm on a run.
Belmount, Burlington Watch Co., Diplomat, Fifth Avenue, Halmark, Halmark Watch Co., Illini, Illini Extra, Landis Watch Co., Maiden America, Marquis, Marquis Autocrat, Masterpiece, Paramount, Plymouth Watch Co., Supreme, The Autocrat, Tanner Special, Washington Watch Co., Wolverine.
I also missed the A Lincoln, Trainmens Special, Winner,and the size 12 Bunn Special.

Jim Carroll

Posts: 77 | Location: Inverclyde Scotland | Registered: November 23, 2002