• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

South Bend watch dates "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've got a South Bend watch that my grandfather owned & I've been trying to get a rough date on when it was manufactured. It seems to be a 16 size, 15 jewel model 280, with a movement number 442005. It has a serial number on the case of 1758282. I found a listing on Oldwatch.com that had a similar watch w/ a serial number 473054 that was dated about 1905. Is that pretty accurate? I thought I found a website that gave manufacture dates for various series of serial numbers but I can't find it now.

This watch needs a crystal & I wonder if there are any jewelers in the Phoenix, AZ area that might have one for me or could get one. Any help you folks could give me would be appreciated! Thanks!

Gordon

Posts: 1 | Location: Glendale, Arizona USA | Registered: June 23, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Gordon, and WELCOME to Chapter 185 my friend!

There are several published "guesstimates" for South-Bend production dates, problem is they are just that, guesses. Some, like the one you mentioned have tried taking total production and dividing it by the years in business then assigning the same number produced to each year they were in business. When we were able to check that dubious methodology using ledger entry comparisons for Hamilton numbers those "guesstimates" were often anywhere from 5 to 8 years off the mark.

The South-Bend chart compiled by Lyle and Donna Stratton shows your number 442005 as 1906 which I believe is fairly close. That may be as good as we can do because unfortunately the factory records were destroyed many years ago. Consider also that watch companies did not necessarily finish movements in chronological order, that often numbers were blocked prematurely and that in some instances movements were not shipped until long after they were produced.

So far as a crystal, we have members in your area and should be able to help you.

Here is additional South-Bend Information...

Click for: South-Bend Watch Company Research Forum

Your South-Bend Grade 280 is as you know a 15-Jewel 16-size hunter movement. Approximately 16,100 were produced. The fact it has been in your family all these years makes it very special.

Hope this is of help,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002