Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

RE: Bunn Model 14, What Style Case? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi All,

I have a model 14 Bunn Special 21 jewel 60 hour Type3 movement and am wondering if anyone can tell me what is the correct case for this movement ( does it need a factory one), or even a picture of the correct case would be good (or somebody with a good one for sale)?

Best regards to All,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Hi Bila, I think any of the 60 hour cases listed in the fat book Illinois section would be appropriate. I also think the earlier Bunn cases would be appropriate. Remember that even though they were factory cased a buyer might want another style of case and jewelers would definitely change cases if the customer so desired. I have a beautiful Waltham Vanguard indicator that is in a Ball stirrup bow case with no other screw marks and as close to mint as I will ever have. The buyer quite likely fancied the Ball case and of course who tells a buyer with money that they won't do that, particularly in a depression.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
An accurate response would really require a serial number or go to the Illinois section and look at the Wadsworth Data base for the type and serial number range that would work best for you. Let me put a link there for you.

Click on here!!!

Steve

If click on the link below this it will take you to a very interesting post regarding Illinois cases. If you scroll down towards the bottom of that page you will see an interesting timeline regarding the various model cases and the variants over the years they were available.

Click on here!!!

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Steve & Richard,

The serial number of the watch is 4942990, which I think dates it around 1927, therefore would have to be in the early first Model Wadsworth case.

I had purchased a nice Keystone 14K GF J.Boss case for it which looks more like a Hamilton case, I might have to put it away for another type of movement.

IHC Member 1016
posted
In 1927 Illinois was not factory casing ALL of their movements. A period correct case would be fine, but, a 1st Model Bunn Special case would be better.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1555
posted
Thanks Mike.