• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

950E Railway Special precursor to 950B...? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello everyone and thanks for any interest this may attract.

I recently aquired a very late production 950E in a Very early Keystone shouldered "A" case with porcelain 23 jewel RWS dial. This Keystone case number precedes the "K" series numbers and follows the Mainliner case number sequence.

The serial # is 2,650,236
Case number 1,239,973

The 1939 Hamilton catalogue shows the 950E as a "mainliner"; the 1940 catalogue shows the 950E in above configuration only; finally, the 1941 catalogue shows the 950B in the early "A" case with RWS 23j dial configuration.

So, the question is, how significant is this variation and at what point did they phase out the mainliner case,...also is it possible to know from the production records how many of the last/6th run of 950E were sold in this version before the first 950B's were sold??

Also, slightly confusing in the Gelson list is the serial numbers 2,650,601 - 2,651,000 having no model type or year column associated to that number line. The "Price Guide" shows the 950E ending at 2,650,600...then...2,651,001 as 992E, what are these missing 400 watches?
I'm sure there is a member here that has either a 950E or 992E movement within those serial numbers to verify this!

Posts: 175 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: June 13, 2011
posted
I think it is more apt to characterize the 950E as the end of the old 950's rather than the precursor to the 950B. The 950B was a complete redesign including dispensing with screwed in jewel settings and completely new parts and pieces. Of course one of the most meaningful changes was the end of the elinvar hairspring (an experiment by Hamilton that frankly went awry) with its replacement by elinvar extra which far exceeded the capability of elinvar.

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
OK, thanks for not answering my question....!! Confused

Posts: 175 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: June 13, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome aboard Mike. The question about the very late 950E's is very significant, because it concerns the shift to the case and dial that would be used in the succeeding model, the 950B. That's also a question that has occurred to me.

A comprehensive answer will require the creation of a new database, where examples like yours, 950E's with Case A and 23-jewel RWS dials would be recorded, with movement number and case number.

The missing models and dates in the Gelson List can be checked against the handwritten production ledgers. I think the answer is going to be that the blanks are the same as the entry above.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed ,Thanks for your reply which pertains to the subject.

I think the creation of a new database for this varient would be a remarkable thing, probably unlikely though. Please consider this the first entry.

However, as this configurtion of the 950E is actually pictured in the 1940 catalogue, I wonder if it would have been packaged in the 'then' new fangled cigarette box....an exciting find that would be if labeled that way!
As this is no longer a Mainliner it wouldn't have a mainliner box to help documentation.

Would those handwritten ledgers indicate which cases the movements went out in and when the 950E stopped being a Mainliner? In other words,...is this a significant change in the production history?

Thanks again Smile

Mike

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Mike,

I'll have to do some research on the introduction of the plastic cigarette boxes, and whether the last 950E's could have come in them.

The late 950E database I'll put in the Hamilton Research Forum, as soon as I search the site for other examples.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
point of information here...It simply blows me away what you guys know. I know some serious players in this business and I come and read here and am just amazed. Thank you so very much for the education.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
Great Ed,

thanks for your interest on this. Not sure just how esoteric it is but, it sure interest me.

I appreciate yours and Lindell's vast knowledge and experience in this odd world of collecting.

posted
I just found an outer box without the inner plastic box. The label appear genuine and shows a 950 Elinvar RWS in an A case the dial is just a BMN dial. Interestingly, it shows that these were factory cased in the A case.

Too bad it's not the serial for my watch or the same dial but, atleast shows a variation or transition from the Mainliner package.