• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Madness ... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have just bought this watch ... I couldn't resist.

Would you kindly (and FRANKLY, please) give me your opinions ? Thanks !

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nice "catch" these two-tone model 1892 movements are very collectible. After you clean this up, it will work and show very well.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Mario,
That is Beautiful!

Look at those gold screws! Wow!

I agree with David on this one, The gold on the movement will look like a million bucks when you clean it up a little.

You got yourself a really nice watch there, Congratulations!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Thanks, David. The movement is in a swingout case, and the seller uttered something about stem and not winding ... I think that there could be the usual regulation problem with the stem or more likely mainspring gone ... actually a shot in the dark, but well, I couldn't refrain. Horology is highly addictive, but all of us know.
Have a nice day. Here is a wet late afternoon.

posted
Sheila, pleasure reading you. You're very kind. As I was telling David, simply I couldn't resist to it ... but today is april fool, so I awarded me with one more foolishness, a cal. 10 (hopefully) slow train Elgin ...

Have a nice day, Sheila

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mario

Nice looking watch!

The one in this photo a Ebayer gave me for free, it needs a new staff & dial but you can't beat free.

It is a 16 size

Tom

waltham

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Tom ... long live ebayers ! I wouldn't have given out such a beauty for free, no way ! an impressive thing. As they say in France ... "chapeau"!

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Tom I have a couple of mdl 88's, but none as nice as this one.
If you ever see a need to part with it, remember me.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I will Ed, give me a day or two. When I got it I bought a new staff from Brian but that was a few months ago.

I think I need to sell off a bunch of pocket watches I have that need repair, I think I have a dozen or better 21 jewel models that need staffs or roller table jewels etc. & I just don't have the time to work on them & work full time at my paying job too.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Tom, I think I have some dials for your "88". As both yours and Mario's are open face movements they are much easier to give a thorough cleaning and restoration.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks David, I will touch base to you if & when I get to playing with it. I really appreciate it.

Tom

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
I really like those two-tone movements! They stand out as most have very pretty damesceening as well.

Mario - with a cleaning and an little TLC you will have a fine 1892 model Bartlett. And Tom, not too bad for a freebie!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008