• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A Riverside, but which one ? Help, please "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have just bought a Riverside, serial 10582368, a 0 size. I have got some ideas reading the Waltham Gray Book, and I bought, but now I would really like to have some expert advice ... it didn't cost me a fortune, so I will manly stand the facts ...

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mario

I am not the expert but what I do show is it is a model 1900 0Size 17 jewel, adjusted to temperature, raised gold jewel settings, gold center wheel, gold balance screws, patent regulator, damaskeened nickel, sunk seconds dial.

It was available in both open & hunter.

This info is from Ehrhardt's Vol1

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Hi, Tom ... always so kind !
Well the point is that I read on Waltham ldgers
"10581001-2500 sz 0 mod. 1900 cal. Maximus 17-19j pat.reg. Hunter case grade P", and I'm rather puzzled putting this into Shugart's. In any case it should not be a poor movement, valued less than 50 dollars

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mario

I can not tell from your photos if your is a hunter or open face, it looks like if yours is a hunter then it is listed on page 135 as Riverside 15J,16J,17J,SW,HC. If yours is open face then it is not listed.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
no, it's open face. I guess they did recase it, and convert from ladies to gents.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Interesting item, the movement looks really good.

When you find a "P" associated with Walthams if I remembrer correctly that is a "Premium" designation. The watch guide shows a similar 0-size movement at upper-left page 135 and there are Riverside listings on that page.

It would help to see the dial, if as I suspect there is no seconds register then the fourth-wheel-pinion has been removed and an appropriate dial installed so the pendant is at an indicated 12 rather than 3 as it would have originally been.

Seems the watch companies were left with vast numbers of left-over 0-size ladies hunters when they fell out of favor. Many 0-size movements were sold to men as early wrist watches and other movements from the vaults were converted in the manner we see on this one. Apparently it was was transformed into an open-faced watch that would then be accepted by a buyer who like the look of a nominally 12-size watch. This way an unusual and high quality watch could be marketed at an attractive price.

Below, a New-Old-Stock case from the 1930s which was designed to help move out leftover inventory.

These oversize cases helped sell off outmoded movements...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
For some reason this reminds me of Marjorie's Favorite Wristwatch. I remain in AWE of its quality, accuracy and workmanship!

Those are certified Black Sapphires on the Gold Expansion band of a s/n 6464305 1893 period watch!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I can readily see why you are in awe, David....

She,Marjorie, has one very very nice watch....

My wife, Mary Ann, would love it as well....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Lindell, you're absolutely right, as the dial here attached shows: no seconds, pendant at 12, it's a Opera. I paid 36 $ so I do not think I've made too big a mistake, even if it is stated not working ... In any case the Gray Book description as "Maximus" does not fit, so, if I have not made a mistake in reading, there is something wrong there.
Thanks for your help, and, gentlemen, have a nice weekend

posted
Here is another example of the mating of a different size movement and case. This time it is a 6 size movement in a 12 size case, they used a metal spacer to fill the void.
Regards
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009