Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin No. 857 O.S.H. Balance Staff "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bulent Ogel
posted
Good Day,

My interest with American pocket watches has started on January 2008. Just one year. Now I have a lot of watches, movements, parts and books. I am now able to repair watches except balance and pallets. All my attempts with balances was unsuccessfull. I don't any more touch to balances. I continue myself training.

According to the Elgin, there is 4 types of No. 857 staffs for 18 size.
O.S.S.H (old style short hub)
O.S.L.H (old style long hub)
N.S.S.H (new style short hub)
N.S.L.H (new style long hub)

It is not all. For example for O.S.S.H there are 5 sub-sizes 857 O.S.S.H-10,11,12,13,14

I ordered from all. Prepared pseudo balance wheels and pressed one staff from all. Result is on the attached photo.

Now for replace a staff, first I have to confirm is the staff is old model or new, then if the hub is short or long, then finally find which sub-size is suitable.

I have the feeling that I am in wrong way. You, experts please helm me. Thank you

Bulent

Posts: 126 | Location: Istanbul in Turkey | Registered: December 14, 2008
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Hi,
I don't know anything about staffs, but I do think that maybe the information on the page below may help you.
It has information from the 1915 Elgin Material Catalog. There are 3 references to the 857 and additional information at the bottom, in the notes of this page.

If I find anything more, I will post it.

Hope this helps.

http://elginwatches.org/scans/.../m_pg106_staffs.html

This is one with pictures of staffs and sizes listed.

http://elginwatches.org/scans/.../m_pg107_staffs.html

Be sure to read the additional information at the bottom. It talks of changes in the length. (at the bottom of the page.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Bulent Ogel
posted
Thank you very much Sheila.

Posts: 126 | Location: Istanbul in Turkey | Registered: December 14, 2008