Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

US Watch Co. of Waltham ? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Hi all I'm not sure what I got myself today.
Any help will be good

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
picture of the movement

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
You need to get a copy of the technical history (picured at right below) of watchmaking to learn more of these makers and where they came from. It is available right here

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I do have the complete price guide but will have to get the other two books.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Peter,

IHC185 has a two book offer AMERICAN WATCHMAKING SPECIAL INCLUDES HAMPDEN BOOK BONUS! This is the book that Dave Abbe has posted on the right.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5232 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Peter, your watch is quite a nice find, indeed....

It is a Mdl.1859, grade PSB, AT&Co, 18s, 15j, Key Wind (not), and 1 of 80 in a run that started on 1/1/1861 & ended on 1/31/1861....There were 78 runs with an ending total of only 1132 units being made and this occured from 10/1/1860 thru 12/31/1865....

Your watch is truly a Civil War era watch....

It would be something to fully restore this watch....

Good luck, Peter....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I guess I'm missing something basic here ( and it wouldn't be the first time) but that movement in the photo looks to me like a stem winder not a key wind and didn't US Watch Company of Waltham start in 1885 ????Confused

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Peter, I had the serial number of the movement without really 'looking' at your photo and it is quite evident that your watch is not key wind and that makes things even more interesting....

The serial number shown, 44065, is what I listed in the post above, and looking at the price guide under the AT&Co. info it does show the M#1859, 15j and being a 3 (***) star watch which it would be with the info listed above (1132 total units).

If that is the case, your watch is really a nice find and all you need do is find a nice silver case to put it in....

Congratulations on your great find....

Regards,

Jerry

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Tom, actually Waltham has roots back to 1851, but merged with Appleton Tracy Co, in 1859....so I think this watch that Peter found is quite a find....

The question I have is, it really does not look like it is a 15j movement....

If mine, when it is taken apart to clean, I would certainly be checking all the parts to make sure the serial numbers all jibed....

Regards,

Jerry

IHC Member 1411
posted
It is a US Watch Co of Waltham watch not made by the American Watch Co. US Watch Co. 1885-1905 later bought by Keystone

Posts: 232 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: April 26, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Peter and Jerry, we need to clear this up right now. This watch was made in about 1890 by U.S. Watch Co. of Waltham, not American Watch of Waltham.

The U.S.Watch of Waltham Co. was founded in 1885 by some local investors who had the cooperation of Mr. Charles Van Der Woerd who as Superintendent of American Watch Co. (Waltham) established the Waltham Watch Tool Co. in the late 1870's and left American Watch Co. of Waltham in 1882 to pursue his own interests.

Mr Charles' Genius at automatic watch making machine designs was already evident in the American Waltham Watch Co. product and he endeavored to continue his experince with the U.S. Watch Co. of Waltham.

The story goes on from that and you need to read the History to fully appreciate the vast cross-pollination these geniuses delivered to the era of American Watchmaking that afforded our country a century long status as the best watchmaker in the world.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Ok Im lost not for the first time Smile
SO do I have a jewel in rough or just a nice pocket watch?

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Opps....

I assumed it to be a Waltham, mainly, I guess, from the dial then I saw a SN and Waltham, Mass. and went directly to Waltham's data base....

My mistake, Peter....and Thanks, David for clearing this up for us....

Regards,

Jerry

posted
Peter-

The grade you have would be similar in value to an 1883 waltham. It is a pretty common US Watch CO. Movement. The hard to find ones for the US Watch Co. (Waltham) are the frosted plate ones and also "The President" grades. I would love to have a president grade US Watch Co. But they bring good money.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Got it thanks all.

posted
Peter-

Here is a 17 jewel frosted plate (Acid Etched) 18 size model. I would have to say they are one of my most favorite pocket watches when in good shape and the etching is in good shape.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Very nice .
I just found pw junk yard and can't help not
to buy those movement. Smile