Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dial damage "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
What would someone have to do to cause so much damage to this dial?
I don't see any hammer marks Wink

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Second bit got damaged so someone tried to solder in a new on, it takes a low heat solder, didn't work out too well. Frown Confused

Posts: 4 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: September 06, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
That is possible, but the continuance of the solder is evident.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I think a lot of dial damage is caused by people not unscrewing the dial posts & then prying the dial off. I think some people that have no knowledge of how a watch is put together want to see what is under the dial & they just try to pry it off. To me yours might be an example of that, the way the damage starts right under the seconds chapter.

Are there any faint signs of scraping or damage to the dial feet at 4 & 8 as if they were pried out without letting the screw down?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Tom,
The dial feet look normal except the 8 o'clock one is a repair. and the 4 0'clock is bent inward and the enamel is cracked. They just have a hole that the dial screws made.
I love these old script Hamilton dials. I guess I will be looking for a repalcement!