Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Venerable and Collectible "Cheap" Hamiltons "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
As a student of "collectible" watches, I fail the "gold test" for spending vast sums of money buying gold coinage surrounded by a watch movement. Instead I have learned to invest in "saving" the less costly and many times equally as "scarce and collectible" Watches that are surrounded by less "meltable" metals. To learn more of this folly, I often refer to my library of Mr. Erhardt's books which provide enough detail for a well balanced understanding of the "collectability" of watches. All that said, when I recently acquired a 972L, I found that Mr Ehrhardt notes 35,562 total production of these in the period 1904-1924. My particular specimen of interest falls in the last 1/3rd of that series being a 1919 production (per Gelsens list). Further, and most interesting is that Mr. Erhardt notes in his 1981 book that the 972 has twice the "collectible" value as the early 992 (close to 800,000 made)! HOWEVER, the eBay bidders "let me take it" for $78.00!
I do know that in 1919 this purpose-built RR grade watch cost "only" $25 when the 992 was sold for $40.00. A much more attractive price to a RR man making about $25.00 a week on a GOOD WEEK then. ANYWAY. This watch has all the markings and signs of being cared for that I must assume gave it a lifetime of service to a RR person, and due to that attention, it cleaned up into a still near-perfect specimen in a Nickel case. This is what makes collecting and restoring these watches all worth it!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A beautifully maintained movement!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A "portrait"

IHC Member 1124
posted
Another gem, David. Keep it up! Love seeing these. Affordable beauty.

©harles

Posts: 134 | Location: South New Jersey in the USA | Registered: April 11, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
And you deny being a wizard. Wink

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
These are the examples I like to carry! Smile

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Once again thank you for your post. Beautifull watches.

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008