Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Regulator Arm Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
I'm a bit confused with regard to regulator arms on balance cocks. Suppose the regulator arm is in a position on the opposite end of the balance cock. Can the watch be in good working order if so? 99% of the time I've seen the regulator arm sitting on the balance cock.

I'm going to make reference to Lindell's watch on a previous post.

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
We see the regulator arm off to the side instead of sitting on balance cock. Here's another reference.

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

posted
Stephanie,

It all depends on the initial design or the watch and regulator as to where on the movement the pointer is located.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
My other question is, how important is the metal strip,for lack of a better word(actuator?) underneath the regulator arm?

Can a watch be in good working order if the metal strip/actuator is missing?

Your help in answering my questions is appreciated!

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

[This message was edited by Stephanie O'Neil on February 10, 2004 at 21:57.]

posted
Stephanie,

The watch will operate normally without the index in place. It is only a guide to tell how much the regulator has been adjusted.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Stephanie,

Look in Shugart 2003, page 55-56 for some different regulator styles........

posted
Aaron,
Thanks for answering my questions.

Terry H.,
Yeah, I had already checked those out in Shugart book. I just find the regulator arm in question a bid odd in location as most regulator arms listed are sitting above the balance cock. Also looks like these are only on 18s pocket watches.

Thanks guys. Does anyone have further comments to make regarding these odd regulators? Any advantage in these kind?

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I guess that if you have seen enough watches these are not really odd. Some regulators lie on top of the balance cock and some point to an index on another plate. You will see a regulator similar to the Columbus on any 18-size Hamilton.

In the Mermod-Jaccard thread of our Photo Gallery ( https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=3206049661&f=5656047761&m=785003386 ) I show a 12-size Elgin with the index on the train bridge, and this was also done on many 16-size Elgins.

The Howard Series III movement ( http://www.nawcc-info.org/Treiman/JT015SerIIImvt.jpg ) is another example.

And, here is a picture of a Waltham regulator used on some 14 and 16-size movements.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Hi Jerry,
Thanks for the added info! Your Howard Series III movement is interesting. Very old?

Thanks for a lesson on regulator arms as well as illustrations!

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979