Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Frank Larson Presentation Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I walk a bike path daily and recently met a fellow who said he had a pocket watch. We agreed upon a time and place to meet so he could show his watch. It turns out that his father, Frank Larson, had been given this watch in 1935 as a result of being a college football All American. He was featured on a Wheaties box, and had starred on the National Champion University of Minnesota team. The watch did not run and had a couple of issues. I agreed to clean and oil it and try to improve its appearance. The photos that follow are of this watch.
BEFORE

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
After, thanks to Gary Cochran providing a suitable dial and crown.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Frank not only appeared on the Wheaties box but also in an advertisement. The background of this photo is an advertisement warning mothers against "forcing" children to eat hot cereal for breakfast. After all, a bowl of Wheaties is all they need. This ad is from a 1935 magazine.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Another shot with the dialogue a bit clearer. Also a NOS glass beveled crystal now replaces the plastic one.

IHC Member 1016
posted
Here is the inscription on the cuvette

IHC Member 1016
posted
The watch is now back on its display stand in the home of Don Larson, Frank's Son.

IHC Member 1613
posted
Turned out really nice..Good work..

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Great work Mike and cool story of the ownership
knowing you I know the owner is happy with your work.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1016
posted
The athletes were on the back of the box in 1935. Today's athletes are, of course, on the front. I asked Don if it was OK to post these photos and he readily agreed. He may actually view this post so I'll say he is a nice guy Wink It was a fun project and today his watch is ticking away along side his other memorabilia. BTW, it is a Hamilton 12s, 918, 19 jewel, in a 14k solid White Gold case. Sold for $100 in 1935 according to an ad in our database.

IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Great job Mike and it was very nice of you to help them out and preserve some history.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011

posted
Nice save - Mike Smile

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
posted
Mike, Do you have a movement pix?

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
posted
Great story, and great work Mike!

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1016
posted
Joe, I did not photo the movement as it was a stock 918 and the reason for showing this was actually the case and the story. The movement was in fine condition with very few scratches and even the mainspring was still serviceable. Looked to have been serviced 4 or 5 times over the years.

posted
Great story!
This is what collecting is all about, saving a piece of history one watch at a time.

Mike

Posts: 206 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2012