Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Any idea what type of watch this is? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
This is a couple of picks from a local auction site. They say that it is silver. There are no pictures of the movement, and I am not sure what the case markings mean. Does anyone out there happen to have an idea about this watch? I will try to find out more, but this is all I have to go on right now. Thanks for any input!

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I have no idea who the maker is but I belive it is a typical swing out movement that is made to look like a fusee when in fact it is just a lever movement. I am no expert and someone may be able to tell you more from the hallmarks. Hard to say with out pics of the movement. These are like the lever fusee watches you lift the bezel and take your fingernail and depress the latch at the bottom to swing the movement up, a lot even had movement covers like the later lever fusee's.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Like Robert, without seeing the movement it is hard to say. From the case & the dial it is apparently key wind & key set.

The case markings show the anchor is for Birmingham & the i looks like a date of 1806.

If the symbol above the anchor & the i is a lion (which it looks to be except in your photo I only see the legs) that is the sterling mark for the .925 silver.

That is about all I can tell you and don't bet the bank on what I say, just trying to make out what I can from the photos & the date codes are sometimes difficult to interpret.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Dan, I agree with Tom on the case with an exception possibility....the (i)date letter could be 1806 as Tom suggests or it could be a later date of 1883....

Either way it is a sterling silver case made in Birmingham....

As far as the Makers Mark, if that is a W.P., that would be William Pugh of Birmingham and he started around 1801....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I still lean towards the 1806 date based on the shape of the letter i and also on the shape of the surrounding shield of the letter.

But Jerry could be right too, since they just used the alphabet over & over & over those letters all start to look the same to me.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
I would go with Tom on this as 1883 is i in a simple oval and 1806 is definiteley a shield

Birminham Assay Office

Posts: 99 | Location: Surrey in the United Kingdom | Registered: June 01, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Thanks so much for the posts. I was not sure if I should even bother bidding on this at the local site here (right now it is at $25). It sounds like there might be some historical value to this watch as opposed to monetary value so I am tempted to go ahead and get into the bidding. If I can get any more info I will be surety share it. Thanks again for all the posts!
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
The style of watch matches with the 1883 era and the key looks like it could be original. Overall condition looks unusually good. I would go for it, good luck!

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005