Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need help to open the ring of Hickok PW chain "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Chris Schirren
posted
Hi, just bought a 992 from France with a Hickok chain. (More about Capt. Morry's watch in the military forum). For some reason, the ring does not open and actually had to take off the bow from the case to have a better look: The ring extends into the box quite deep on one side and only 2-3mm on the other. There is a flat spring wihich presses the ring against one (wide) side of the box. Logically, pressing the ring against that spring one should be able to pull the ring out say 5mm but it does not move at all. The box does not look deformed. If I knew how it is supposed to work could use some more force and see what happens. The rivet in the box I believe holds the chain on the opposite end. Anyone out there who can help? Thanks a lot/Chris Schirren

Posts: 58 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: September 02, 2005
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Try pulling on the chain, at the opposite end, it may release the spring and then the ring.

If that does not work, then try pulling the chain and push the ring at the same time.

Only my guess, but I will look into it more.

Good Luck

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Chris Schirren
posted
Thanks Sheila but the end piece for the chain rivited in the "box" moves even less than the ring. I still believe the answer is somehow pressing the ring, flat on the table down against the spring inside the box and then pull it out (or first in then out). The ring really has no room to move sideways. This is a tough one...guess will now soak it in cleaning solution and try again. Still don't like to use excessive force if I am not sure how this is supposed to work. Case you find out anthing else more than desperate to learn about it. Thanks again/Chris.

Posts: 58 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: September 02, 2005
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Chris,
Yep, I figured it was pretty tight with the rivet, but I have seen them with rivets that were not actually connected to the chain, so I thought I would mention it. I did look for a link like the one you have, with no luck, but I will keep looking. I think you have it right about the way you open it though, and it's also smart to not damage it, before finding out how to work it.

It's still a pretty nice clasp, looks nice and strong. Good luck.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004