• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My latest project watches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here's a couple of my latest pickups for not very much money this last week. They both look like nothings from the outside with wore thru cases and been so dirty, but the insides tell a different story. They are both non-running and will need work. The vanguard is a 21 jeweland does have the diamond end stones. The 545 has the elaborate winding gears. Can someone tell me if they were original to this model? I'm guessing they are, but I have seen them without the elaborate gears also. I will post some more pics in about a week or so after I have had a chance to go thru them.

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
Waltham Vanguard face

posted
Waltham movement

posted
Rockford 545 Face

posted
Rockford 545 Movement.

posted
Nice picks, Jared.

The Rockford should clean up nicely. While I don't own a 545, I've seen these winding wheels with this pattern before.

The Vanguard has always puzzled me: gold filligree, diamond end-stone, gold smokestack jewel settings, gilt screws ... and those oatmeal winding wheels.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Waltham 92's are nice watches.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
If I remember correctly the Rockford 545's were marked 5 positions. If so then they were certainly an approved watch by all standards. I believe the winding wheels now on your 545 are original.

It appears the crystal on the 545 is a plastic one from that era where when they begin to deteriorate, that they give off a gas that will cause the hands, pinion, and other high carbon steel parts to begin rusting. The most obvious clue to them BEFORE they harm the metal is a yellowed or green tint on the crystal itself. If so, then take the front bezel off and punch your crystal out and throw it away before any damage can be done as it has a snowball effect to your watch parts.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Finally got a chance to clean these couple up. Here is some pictures afterwards. Hopefully i can find a good case for the 1892 one of these days.

posted
The 545 took a few parts to get going. had to put in a new main, a balance staff, a hairspring (completely missing), and also a new center wheen since the old one was missing the rear pinion. Fortunately, i had a parts movement i could rob a gold center wheel out of to match.

posted
The 1892 was a little bit easier, only needing a staff and main to get it going.

posted
Movement after cleaning and repair.