Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 18s C.P.R. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello Everyone;

A lady brought me five or six watches in a plastic bag this morning and in the bag was this Waltham.

It's an 18s Model 1883, 17 Jewel very nice looking movement signed with the Canadian Pacific Railway logo. Which of course is the shield with a Beaver on top.

I'm pretty certain that it's not the original case or dial but I was hoping someone here could tell me anything about it, what it's worth etc? I know the "guide" says two stars, but is there anything ele about its rarity?

The watch isn't running but the mainspring is wound tight. Would it be alright/safe to let the spring tension go with that little lever on the side of the movement? I don't want to do anything until someone says it's ok to do so.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Bud

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Bud,

Very nice movement there. You need either a crown with the same size square stem attached or a let down tool. Once out of the case, you need to secure the movement so you can get to the winding hole and the click release at the same time. While holding the tool firmly, wind it in the winding direction while at the same time pushing the click release. Hold the click in the released position and slowly let the tool unwind the mainspring.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Thank you Roger, I appreciate the help. PM sent to you as well.

Bud

IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
The dial is correct. Can't tell about the case since you did not post a photo of the inside of the case. These watches go high.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
posted
The fact that the numbers 13 through 24 are placed radially make it rare. Nice clean looking movement ....it's amazing what shows up in plastic bags.

Regards, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005
posted
HI Bud,
If you remove the barrell bridge can you please look underneath and tell us if there is the movement serial number (or the final part of it)? According to my experience there could be a different number or no number at all.

According to the Waltham records this watch S/N is specified as grade "A.T.& Co." and not "C.P.R.". This could raise some doubts about the watch's actual history as a true rairoad item.

Regards,
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I just wonder if Waltham made a bunch of CPR Barrel covers and distributed them among their Candadian dealers.

A watch like this shows up which is not actually listed as a (one of the very few) "Factory CPR model 1883" movements, but it sure smacks of a RR grade 24 Hour dialed Canadian RR watch.

The fact that many of these CPR Barrel covers are UN-NUMBERED further reinforces my "hunch" that Waltham may have added these as a marketing gimmick to sell more of their (highly profitable) Model 83 movements in Canada.

As for the case, how about a cover picture to determine if it was Canadian made.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I'm curious about the different pattern on the barrel cover,and the center wheel does not look to be jeweled. I'm thinking the barrel cover may have been changed.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
Guess I should have checked before posting. This is listed as having 17 jewels.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
The radial Arabic members on the Roman Numeral dial are not really that scarce, here is one with the private-label name from Vancouver, British Columbia

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Hi Dave;

Sure thing, I've added it my original post. Also, it appears to have a lot of case scew marks inside the case it looks like at least one other movement has been in it. I could be wrong though.

The barrel cover does have a different "pattern" than the rest too. Does this mean I've been "had"?

Bud

quote:
As for the case, how about a cover picture to determine if it was Canadian made.

posted
The case is wrong for the age of the watch, it should be a high pendant model like the one Larry is showing.

About the pattern discontinuity, Waltham never worried too much about it, I've seen honest C.P.R watches with different engraving on the barrel bridges.

The dial and hands are quite correct for that kind of watch (except for the second hand, of course).

Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
posted
Thanks Peter, and thank you all for your kind help with this. I've decided that either way, a mismatched assembly of parts, or a real railroader, I think I'll have my excellent watchmaker/repairman fix it so I can enjoy it. I have a nice new-to-me/old case with a real nice engraving of a train on the back and it's a big old Silverode case so I think I'll just have him put the CPR in that.

Thanks again everybody.

Bud

quote:
The case is wrong for the age of the watch, it should be a high pendant model like the one Larry is showing

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Bravo! Smile

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Thanks Mark

Bud

quote:
Bravo!