Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Rockford 12 21 jewel open face "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I have a question about the 12s Rockfords, I have been looking at one with the serial number 835592, it is a 21 jewel.

The price guide listing of serial numbers does not go that high, I was wondering if someone had a list that covered that number.

From looking at what info I can find I see where a 21 jewel was made called the 315. Is that number on the movement or is that just a grade number.

rockford

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Tom

Your watch is a grade 385,21j Adjusted Heat/Cold

Theses were produced in the dying years of Rockford.

A 1915 year ad shows the movement selling for $12.50 versus the regular price of $17.50.

This grade is more common than the earlier grade 310/315 which were adj to 5 positions and were of better quality.

There is also grades 340/345 (Pocahontas). These are very scarce. I will put up a picture later.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Robert!

Tom

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Tom, the Rockford database that I have shows the following when s/n 835592 is entered;

12s, 21j, grade 370, production run of 1000 starting with 835001, ending with 8356000.
Hunter case, 3/4 plate, nickel finish, stem wind/pendant set, ca 1910, adjusted....

Bob, I'm not trying to start an argument here.... Big Grin Just the messenger....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
When I get it I will see if I can get a better photo, it is in a 14K case, so I mainly bought it because of that.

Tom

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I would like to see additional photos of the watch....It is a super looking guy....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
12-Size Expert
posted
Jerry
My information came from Ehrhardts Rockford
Watch Co book.

Clearly Toms watch is open face so it appears that the other database may have an error.

In addition these late serial numbers are somewhat problematic as they are coming from observed watches. It will take some time before a clear picture is available--much like Hampden serial numbers.Many of the runs are very spotty or no examples have been seen yet.

Keep in mind that four or five 12 size Hampdens have been discovered even with 10,000 published serail numbers.

Bob

12-Size Expert
posted
As promised a picture of the movement of a 12 size 21j adj 5Pos Rockkford Pocahontas

12-Size Expert
posted
the dial