Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Wind Indicator Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
I always completely wind the watch that I carry each morning. However on my Elgin wind indicator dial it states to wind at the 32 hour mark and stop at the 8 hour mark. Is there any good reason for this? I have still been winding it completely each morning just like I do with my other watches.

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Bob,
Winding the watch at the 8 hour mark and winding up to the 32 hour marks avoids running the movement on the first and last turns of the mainspring. Since the watch is running only on the "middle" part of the mainspring's power it will lessen isochronal errors introduced when the mainspring is very strong (the last turn) or very weak (the first turn). This will improve the movement's rate, or at least in theory.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Bob Kapinos
posted
Ed,

Thanks for the reply. That was very interesting! So I guess I'm doing no harm to the watch in completely winding it each morning.

Bob

Posts: 183 | Location: Ona, West Virginia USA | Registered: May 01, 2005