Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

An interesting Dial on this Columbus "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
The dial is interesting on this Columbus movement, The hour markers look like logs or tree branches..
I bought this movement along with some other pieces this weekend, it is a 6 size two tone 16 jewel movement..

The gold flashing is present under the dial also on the underside of the plates..I hope to be able to get it running again..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
2 tone movement

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
back side of the piller plate

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
under the dial Smile

posted
Very NICE movement !!! I have a similar dial on an Illinois.. When finished let me know what you want for it .. Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Cool watch Samie. These are often called "stick" dials and yours is a particularly nice example. Cool

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Samie,

Beautiful movement, amazing dial... some of the small watches are big on value.

Thanks for sharing that one!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I have that exact dial in 16sz if anybody has anything to trade!

Posts: 185 | Location: Sedro Wooley, Washington USA | Registered: January 02, 2003
posted
Very nice movement and dial Samie!

I've heard these occasionally called "log" dials, and I think many of the companies had these and in a number of different sizes.

I've always liked these dials, and what may be my favorite dial I own is an 18 size Elgin marked on the center-bit with the Order of Railway Conductors name and logo and with an outer chapter of black and gold leaf log numerals. This is the watch pic I use for my avatar here, and here is a little bigger picture of it ...

Fred

Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Those are great dials--both of them. I wondered how rare original dials with images on them are.

Also, If anyone knows: how great a reputation did dial makers in various companies have, or was this considered a transferable talent, except for the few exceptionally exquiaite dials. I love the log theme, or some of the other highly complex-figurative dials I've seen. The individual drawings are wonderful, and make the dials seem so much more special.

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Hey Fred that dial is a beauty Smile,

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Some of these "log" dials were associated with Woodsmen of the World who use these symbols extensively. They certainly were not limited to them though.

I really like the small Columbus. I like the regulator index, as well as the overall look. I wish they had gold jewel settings as well, but you can't have everything.

Here is my favorite "log" dial. Click on it to make it larger.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Great dial - all of them.

Tom, my guess is Herman Hewett, but what's with the S. If middle initial, why so prominent?

Charlie

posted
Hi Tom -

Not to take this thread too far off course, but thought you might be interested in seeing a photo of this Herman Hewett PL marked Illinois movement I recently owned ...

Fred

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Beautiful dial Tom. I wish the Columbus had gold jewel settings, maybe after a good cleaning they will look better. Hope to sometime see it running again, I'd hate to see a nice movement such as this parted out...

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Samie, What a really great dial, very nice.

Yes, Yes, I am the proud owner of the attached Watch, FANTASTIC!!!! I just Love it!
I also have the token that goes with it, and thanks to Fred, I even have an antique key to go with it. God, don't ya just love IHC 185 Sales?

Wouldn't one of these FANTASTIC DIALS look great on MY Watch? hehehehe Wink

No, actually as much as I like the dials, I like my watch just the way it is. It's in my Special location, where only my favorite Watches go. Not many in there but I'm working on it.

Thanks everyone for the Dials, they are so nice, and the information on My Watch is so wonderful! Bless you for the post!

Here's my Herman Hewett.

Sheila

Herman Hewett10

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Sammie,
I was so excited to see all the information about my watch along with these beautiful dials I forgot to tell you, that the movement is beautiful too. I have seen only a few 2 tone movements, and that was in here a few times.
Are you going to "Do it up" yourself? I sure would like to see it, when it's finished, if you do.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004