Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Springfield Watch Co. Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Is there a difference between an Illinois Watch Co. Watch, and an Illinois Springfield Watch Co Watch? Is it just age, or date, I have always wondered.

Can you tell me about this watch?
The only thing I know about it is that it says

Illinois Watch Co. in a circle with Springfield through the middle. It is also marked adjusted. 17 Jewels. Double Roller. No. 4131650.

Thank you.

Sheila

Illinois10

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
The dial

Mid 1920's ???

Sheila

Illinois0

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Hello Sheila,

The Illinois Watch Company was located in Springfield, Illinois. Perhaps that should be read as "Illinois / Watch Company / Springfield" from your watch.

According to the Illinois Encyclopedia 4,127001-4,133,000 is a 12-size, pendant-set, open-face, 17-jewel, model 3 grade 405 from 1922 production. Your grade 104 is listed in the Shugart's Complete Guide to Watches on page 286 of the 2005 edition.

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine
IHC Administrative Assistant
Membership and Marts Coordinator

Contact eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Sheila -

There is an excellent account of the history of the company, and the names it operated under, in the 1985 Illinois Watch Co. book by Bill Meggers and Roy Ehrhardt.

And from this text as for the factory name ...

"Springfield Watch Co." - The original factory name, marking found on dials of (most if not all) watches produced during the company's first year of output - 1872. Also remained as the official factory name until July 1877.

"Illinois Springfield Watch Co." - The next official factory name, lasted from July 1877 until December 1878. A few thousand 18 size movements were marked with this name (as "Ill's Springfield Watch Co.") during this time, but this version of the factory name was used and is found on dials apparently as early as 1873.

"Illinois Watch Co." - The name most of us know this company as, begun in December 1878 and at the same time as the ascension of Jacob Bunn to the position of company President.

... but the Springfield location was still marked on movements throughout the operation of the Illinois Watch Co. until the very end, even after this company was bought out and movements were produced under the Illinois name by the Hamilton Watch Company beginning in 1928.

So like many Illinois Watch Co. watches made between 1879 and 1927, this is the story with the Springfield name on your Illinois Watch Co. movement.

Fred

posted
OUTSTANDING Information!

Thank you all so very much.

I had read the above pages before, but for some reason it just WOULD NOT SINK IN, and now it does.
I was actually reading it wrong in the book, and HERE I get it!

I guess some things you just try too hard, and get it so jumbled up, that there is no use in trying anymore. I sure am glad I asked.

Why in the world I couldn't understand it when I read it so many times is beyond me!

Ya just got ta get it from FRIENDS, in those "Brain Dead" times, I guess.

Jim, Thank you.
Dr, Debbie, Perfect, Thank you.
Fred, you are a Gem.
Bless all,

Sheila