Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Got lucky( I think ) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1357
posted
Bid on two watches(sold as one lot)on Heritage Auctions.One watch was a Hamilton(Swiss)Traffic special SS Case, the other an Illinois 16s. in a Illinois 6ohr. case.Turned out to be a Mod.14,Type2,Bunn,19jewels,60hr Motor Barrel.Which I needed for my collection.I was quiet surprised when my total cost was $91.93 Both watches are running well.I suppose I have used up my luck for a while.
Roger

dial

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
Movt.

s

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Holy Smokes! I've seen those Hamilton Swiss Traffic Specials go for $150 in antique stores in my area. You got a HECK of a deal, my friend!

HIGH regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of George Ulrich
posted
or you should buy lottery tickets Roll Eyes

Posts: 119 | Location: Alton, Illinois in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2013
IHC Member 1357
posted
Thanks Mark,and I agree I did get a heck of a deal! Smile
Roger

s

IHC Member 1357
posted
This is a pretty nice looking watch.Really like the dial!

x

posted
Congrats - Roger!!!

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Congrats Roger! The 60-hr Bunn is the real bargain too, that has a low book of $400.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Way to go Roger!

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Good one Roger. Sometimes Heritage's minimalist descriptions of items in their weekly internet auctions works out in our favor. Unfortunately, in my case, it has usually gone the other way.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
I agree Robert in the past I have not been so lucky. You really are taking a risk on most of their offerings.Brief descripitons and very seldom a photo of the movt.The 25% premium is really a deterrent on top of that I pay a 8.255 sales tax and shipping.It can get very costly.I entered a low ball bid and when it was over got the 2 for 91.00 each.Really pleased with this.
Roger

posted
Roger (this time I got the name right), I did score a couple months ago in one of their auctions. They were selling a bunch of books as part of the watch auctions and I picked up a first edition of Gould's "The Marine Chronometer" for less that $50 total. The asking price for the 1923 edition with the on-line book sellers is between $400 to $1000 depending on condition. So that helped average out some of the things I paid too much for.
Bob

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Member 1357
posted
Robert a great buy!!!
Roger

Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
I'm going to remember that you have that book, Robert! I bought a U.S. Bureau of Ships marked Hamilton model 22 from Tom Brunton recently. 1941 date; running like a top, and I am fascinated with it. Darn thing is very heavy! Would like to learn more about it.

kh

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
posted
Ken, unfortunately that book was written quite a while before the Hamilton 22 was first produced. I do have a PDF copy of the service manual for the 22 (NAVSHIPS 250-624-1) that I can email to you if you are interested.
Bob