Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

19-Jewel Motor Barrel Bunn "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
19-Jewel Motor Barrel Bunn serial number 3291166

It is a "curved" illinois

I just inherited this watch. It was either my grandfather's or his father's watch. From what I can see, it looks to have been made in 1918.

I runs but probably needs adjusting and cleaning.

I _think_ it is a stem-set watch (as opposed to lever set, but I wouldn't know for sure. The stem does come out when I pull up on it, but it doesn't turn the hands. Instead, it acts like it continues to wind the watch. I'm afraid to pull
on the stem too much.

It isn't a perfect watch. The case is worn and has a few scratches on it. The face shows some cracks or lines and a little dirt or rust at the corner of where the seconds and the digit "5" intersect. From all appearances this was a daily use watch.

The case is a keystone watch case with a serial number of 6657092.

I have no idea of what "size" this would be. I am guessing from what I can find on this site and a couple of others that it is a Model 11.

Can anyone help fill me in on just what I have? I am not worried about "value" as the sentimental value is what is important to me.

Thank you in advance!
Bryan

Posts: 5 | Location: Lewisville, Texas in the USA | Registered: March 01, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Bryan

Your Bunn is lever set, on some lever set models you can still pull the stem out but it doesn't do anything. If you carefully unscrew the front bezel you will see the lever to set the time at about the 2:00 position. With your finger nail pull the lever out & you can set the time. You need to be careful with your mail near the dial, you will notice many lever set watches get damage to the dial near the lever from people digging at the lever.

Your watch was made in 1918 & it is a size 16. Illinois made a total of 36 runs of this watch for a total of 15,900 between 1917 & 1925.

I am a big fan of Bunn's & Bunn Special's. You have yourself a nice watch.

Yours is adjusted to temperature, 5 positions & isochronism, it has ruby jewels in raised gold settings, gold balance screws & train wheels, with a jeweled 48 hour motor barrel.

A lot of what you described as damage to the dial will disappear with a good cleaning, leave that to whoever services your watch. There are several watchmakers in this club that would do a great job of servicing it. You can check them out in the business section here;
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...s/a/frm/f/3006013713

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Well, blow me down. It is a Lever-Set watch. I took the face part of the case off again and looked and found the lever at the 1 o'clock position on
the threads.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Forgot to mention, you were also correct it is a model 11 open face watch. Glad to see you are going to keep it for family reasons, it took me over 30 years to track down my fathers pocket watch after he died, my son now owns it & it is what got me started in this hobby. Sounds like you may have been bitten by the bug, if you have the extra money $12.00 a year is one of the best bargains you can get for the information & fine people found here.

We like seeing photos so if you have a chance you might post a few of your watch.

Welcome to the club again.

Tom

posted
More photos

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Sorry Bryan, I guess me & you were posting at the same time.

Tom

posted
last picture

posted
Thank you, Tom. That is fast service!
I also have some of my grandparents mantle
clocks that i have worked on and got them to run.
unfortunately, one got knocked off a dresser by my cat so it is truly broken, but the other runs like a champion.

I will probably join and spend quite a bit of time here on this site.

Thanks again!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Great Bryan, we would be more than happy to have you here.

Nice looking watch & the case appears correct for the time period & appears to be original to the movement. If you look at the back of the movement, you will notice the two screws that hold it in the case & how they made small curved scratches into the brass of the case, those are what is know as case screw marks, if you have another set of those in a different location it means your case at one time held a different movement.

Your dial will clean up nice other than the damage near the seconds chapter, there are members here that can also do a repair to that but I have never been any good at doing that myself.

I notice your in Texas, Chris Abell who is listed in the business directory is also in Texas, I use his services when I need something beyond my mega r abilities. Chris like all the others here is a great guy.

Tom

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Welcome Bryan! Glad to have you here. I am just down the road from you.

You have a very nice Bunn Special that I can tell means a lot to you. As Tom mentioned, the movement can be serviced and the dial cleaned up so the hairlines don't show. The chip can also be repaired. I, too, highly recommend Chris Abell. I know him personally and he has repaired several of my watches and does outstanding work for a fair price.

Please consider joining us. It will be the best $12.00 you can spend concerning anything related to watches and clocks. You won't be disappointed! Smile

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008