Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Santa Fe Special question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I have a few questions about a Santa Fe Special and I am sure all the Illinois experts here can help.
I have found out so far that it is a S16 21J grade 806, model 9, made in 1919/20. 3500128

I have only ever seen Santa fe's with Montgomery dial is this the norm?

Is this grade 806 anything special?, how many made?

The case is stamped correctly Santa Fe

Its marked temp and positions is this 3 or 5 positions.

Anything else you can tell me

Thanks again

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
My hunting case Santa Fe Special does not have a Montgomery dial. My understanding of grade 806 is that it is a 3 position movement.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Jerry,

I have found out a bit more from a friend,
It said that grade 806 regularly was adjusted to 3 positions, it was also delivered to Montgomery Ward (marked 'Washington Watch Co.) and advertised as 5 adjusted to positions, so one can conclude that the Santa Fe Watch Co. also advertised their watches as adj. 5 pos. Of this grade and type, 37,290 watches were produced between 1914 and 1927 and your watch comes from a run of 600, which was not the first of this type. It is a bit unuasual that your wtach has a gold train, because the description says gilded

I have rechecked mine and it has the gold train anyone shed any light on this?

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...I'll open the kidding at $100... Wink...actually all bidding aside, your watch has 'gold-plated' train wheels and gilded flat head plate screws...a Model 9, there were 43820 made in 60 runs between 1913-1926 (yours in 1919)...have been looking for one w/a 'Monty' dial but most I've seen don't have one...hope this helps...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info, the train had me fooled (which is easy to do) looks like a gold with that typical brown/red color and finish rounded spokes. the ones I have seen only ever had Monty dials!, Smile