• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Marine Watch Holder ? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have just come across this Brass Holder, it appears to be for an 18s pocket watch, this was bought with a bunch of marine collectables. I have never seen another item quite like tis and was wondering if anyone here might have. I placed an 18s BWR in it and it seems to fit and hold perfrectly. It looks like this should be mounted on a bulkhead, or maybe a desk ? I am only thinking this is a marine item, being brass, etc.
Any info on what I actually have would be greatly enligtening to myself.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted

posted

posted

posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
It is just what you suspect it to be, a deck watch bulkhead mount ,likely from a Torpedo Boat or small coastal patrol boat,minesweeper or armed merchantman or trawler Wink interesting,and interested Smile

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Nice find Bill, is there an unexplored nook or cranny left in this part of the province? Perhaps the History Channel will soon call you to do a show..... 'Canadian Tickers?' Smile

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Tom,
Thanks for the info, I had thought that was what it is. Being as it is wall (bulkhead) mounted, there likely should be a crystal of some sort in the front of it, that is not there.
Any idea what the value of this item would be, as one could likely also be swayed.
Bill

IHC Member 1508
posted
That is really cool Bill! Last year, I found a brass chronometer mounting with a Hamilton 940 in it. It had gimbals, and needed the rest of it to be complete. Wished I could have gotten it. https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6044861/m/8733995957 Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I actually don't think it necesarily had a glass,as the watch itself had a glass and that would make the second glass superfluous,and create annoying and problematic reflections

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
The other thing I thought was wierd was that it appears to fit an 18s watch, where a 16s used during the time frame we are talking would not fit snugly into the mount, it would be loose. I just tried putting a couple of 16s watches into it, and there would be no way they would stay ? So given that, is this from an earlier time frame or what time frame, 18s were pretty much gone after about 1910 ?
Bill

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I have several American and Canadian and British WW2 - 16 size deck watches. I also have a few earlier sterling hacking deck watches about 18 size so I suspect that you are correct in your surmise

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
never saw one quite like it till Werner sent me this eBay listing this morning which appears to be identical, darn,I thought I bought the only one in the world from you Roll Eyes Big Grin ,works for me though, as I have an RFC cockpit watch as shown in the listing. The description says it has a heavy beveled glass ,which appears missing from yours,or mine Smile

E:1123#ht_500wt_1197" target="_blank">http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBay...E:1123#ht_500wt_1197

posted
Tom,
I just saw this post, what are the chances of having 2 of these almost at the same time.
What you had said to me about reflection sounded quite logical.
I am sure they are the same tho.
Did you receive it yet ?
Bill

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
It just came in the post this minute , and the
PayPal went out minutes later . It is very nice but for the missing glass, and I will work on that. Other than that it's in lovely condition. Yes ,never saw one in my life and then two in two days!!!!! I just emailed Lorne asking if he got the other one , which went for about $143 ,and in the meantime while I'd rather the one with the original beveled glass, I'm a very happy camper to have this one, thank you Bill Wink pic shows my WW1 RFC pilot's bulkhead watch in it

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
#2 with lid on