Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Real vs. Repro on 992B Dials? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted

Real vs. Repro on 992B Dials?

With all the fake and misrepresented dials is there any way to tell which ones are real?

Posts: 175 | Location: Claremore, Oklahoma USA | Registered: January 03, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Very good question, this is often confusing...

It's fairly easy to spot the original porcelain version, so let's concentrate on views of the melamine versus the reproduction. To begin with, if you can examine the back, an original melamine dial will have a dull black finish on the back.

Here's how you tell with the dial on the watch. Start by looking very closely at the Red 5-Minute Track or R5MT in-hand or closely examining available photos. On LaRose reproductions, the red numbers are out somewhat further than the black numbers. Compare very carefully the next two pictures below, once you know what you're looking for it's far easier to spot.

Two more things to look for. In the genuine melamine dial below, you'll see a curve on the downstroke of the marginal-minute number "7" where in the LaRose reproduction it is nearly straight. You'll also see a "hook" at the top of the 7 in the reproduction. Finally, the words "Hamilton Railway Special" and the black outer track numbers are somewhat heavier on the reproduction. The LaRose reproduction dial is a very bright white where melamine dials are usually somewhat drab by comparison.

IMMEDIATELY BELOW, ORIGINAL HAMILTON MELAMINE DIAL...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

NEXT IMAGE BELOW, A REPRODUCTION DIAL FROM S. LAROSE...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
lindell,
having a hard time spotting the difference in the two dials other than the bolder lettering and numbers. could you post a picture of the difference in the number "7". humor me--my old tired eyes must not work as good as they used to.
regards
fred

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
posted
fred,
this has also been one of the hardest things for me to grab a hold of also....

concentrate on the leg of the 7..... note the curvature of this leg.....

so far seems to work......

IHC President
Life Member
posted
Fred,

Like Terry said, this is not a simple one to grasp immediately. It does take some concentration, but once it all settles in you'll then recognize it easily. Scroll into those two pictures so you can look at and compare the numbers in the marginal-minute outer track on the screen together.

Compare the little numbers on the outer track, 2, 3, 4, the very different position of the big red 5, then 6 is quite different between the two, and the differences in the "7" are the easiest to commit to memory. If you remember the 7 then as long as you can see it in the auction photos you'll never be fooled.

Lindell

Roll Eyes

IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
DUH!!
I WAS COMPARING THE 7 "HOUR" MARKER ON MY KNOWN ORIGINAL DIAL WITH THE ONES IN QUESTION, NOT THE SEVEN " MINUTE" MARKER. PLAIN AS DAY, NOW THAT SOMEONE HAS TURNED ON THE LIGHT. MANY THANKS!
FRED

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Maybe it was mentioned but it appears the original dials have red numbers that are not centered between the adjacent black numbers. The repros are better centered.

John D. Duvall
Rosamond, CA.
NAWCC Member 0144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted
Good point John, the repro is a great looking dial, in several respects an improvement over the melamine. In fact, the S. LaRose replacement is the dial of choice for a daily carry-watch. But alas it is not original, that brings us to an important and fairly obvious point...

The original will always be far more desirable to a collector.

Lindell

Wink

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Lindell,

I would agree, and of course I was pointing out a distinguishing feature, not that I would personally favor the repo version. Repo's have their place in restorations when an OEM is unusable or unavailable at a reasonable price. Whenever I modify a collectable watch, I try and keep the original parts that were changed out in a little baggy that stays with the watch.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003