Tools
Reply to Post

Bunn Special Dial, what model? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi,
Can you tell me what model/year range/type this dial would be good for? I have seen them on my own 1929 how far either side does this stretch?, model type III only?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Chris,

Your great looking Bunn Special dial with the outward-pointing triangular-shaped arrows at each five-minute position is generally considered to one of the Hamilton influences which began with Hamilton's taking ownership and management of the Illinois Watch Company in Springfield at about the January 1928 time-frame.

Although this same style of outward-pointing arrows were previously used on Sangamo Special dials and also on at least one earlier Bunn Special dial their widespread use which would eventually spread to all the Bunn Special dials can apparently be traced to 1928 and beyond. That does not mean earlier designs were not still being used until they were depleted, but the new dials from 1928 on would all have the basic design characteristics shown on your dial. Remember however that dials are easily changed, both then and now so the water is a bit muddied on this subject.

Specifically, your dial should be considered acceptable on any Bunn Special from 1928 production and for the next two or three years. For example, I have a dial like yours on my 21-Jewel Type III which is from 1929 production. Of course this comes down to a matter of choice and some may make that choice and even draw the time-line a bit differently. As the 21-Jewel 161, 161A, along with 23-Jewel 163 and 163A movements became available beginning in 1929 and 1930 there were both "marked" and "variant" dials introduced. Most collectors prefer to have those rather dramatic dial designs on their later watches.

The first group of three "marked" dials would have "Bunn Special" directly below the "Illinois" signature and then "21-Jewels, 60-Hour" or "23-Jewels, 60-Hour" above the seconds register. Of those three the 23-Jewel version came in both Montgomery and Non-Montgomery versions, the 21-Jewel only in Non-Montgomery design. Another pair of highly sought after 23-Jewel variant dials which are selling for major money these days will have "23-J." between the Illinois and Bunn Special markings and then "60-Hour, 6-Positions" above the seconds register.

We got into details and provided images of those dials in a topic called "Now that the wonderful Bunn 163 auction is over..." about this time last year. There we discussed all five of the "marked" and "marked variant" dials. That topic makes for some interesting reading and a lot of worthwhile information appears there.

Hope this explanation is of help and spurs additional interest.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Lindell, As always a great detailed answer. Will have to look for a good example to carry such a smart looking dial.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003