• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watchmakers ID numbers. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi to all from the UK, spring just around the corner!!.
Does anybody know what the very small engraved numbers/letters mean that are often found on the inside back cover of a pocket watch?.
I think they are from a previous watchmaker who has maybe serviced a watch and maybe this is some sort of unique registration number to identify him/her?........thanks, Steve.

Posts: 189 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 27, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Steve,

Yessir, the weather is beautiful here, my favorite time of the year!

About those "service marks" there is a decipherable code to many of them. For example I have at times made out "coa" for clean, oil and adjust as well as "ms" for mainspring. Often years are reversed and other oddities. There was a time when all this was registered, story goes that if a dead body was found with a watch and no other identification the watch would lead the officials to the deceased person's identity.

When doing an IHC185 Find-Or Search for "Service Marks" there is some interesting reading.

Here is another topic "Watchmakers ID numbers" currently under discussion.

Let's see what others have to say!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002