Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Beats per Hour - question! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
How do you know what the proper BPH is for any given watch?

Thanks

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ed

I am sure someone will come along with more info & a better statement but from what I understand some of the earlier pock watches were slow train which were 16200 beats per hour, then they went to 18000 BPH (5 BPS) which stayed that way until the late 1940's when watches started being made at 21600 BPH (6 BPS, today there are some that are 28000 (8BPS) & 36000 (10BPS).

It is my understanding that one reason they had remained at 18000 for so long was due to oil that was used but when synthetics were devloped they could up the beat.

There is a formula for determining the BPH but I have never tried it, it invloves counting the teeth on the wheels & leaves on the pinions. It is written as (EW x FW x TW x CW x 2)/ (EP x FP x TP x 60) so EW=escape wheel, FW=fourth wheel, TW=third wheel & CW= center wheel, the others EP etc are the pinion leaves for the corresponding wheel.

I am sure I made that as clear as mud.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Peter Shea
posted
Tom,

Thanks for your explanation on slow & fast trains.

Pete

Posts: 20 | Location: Dillsburg, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: August 20, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Tom.
Thanks for the explaination on the differences. I didn't know when the 18000 BPH started and ended.
I imagine all my pw's fall in the 18000 BPH range.
If an old one shows around 16000 range on my watch timer I will know that it is a slow train.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008