Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Private Label? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Hi all,

I have a 1906 18s Hamilton 974 # 491117 that says "J.C. Hunt" Special on the movement. Is that a privete label movement?

It just says Hamilton Watch Co. in script on the dial.

Thank you!

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Yes, J. C. Hunt was a jeweler apparently and had Hamilton make some watches with his name on them.

The watch is a Grade 924, not 974 BTW.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
I would say Yes, it is a private label movement. But the dial is probably not original to the movement.

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Larry:

From Roy Ehrhardt and Bill Meggers "American Pocket Watches Identification and Price Guide" published January, 1987 I found the following listing for a private-label:
Hunt, J.C. -Special-Superior, Nebraska on a Rockford 16 size, 7 jewel, open face.

You say your watch is 18 size, but a Grade 974 that is a 16 size.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Yes, as Ed said Larry, it is a 924. My eyes can play tricks on me in my old age. Frown

I was wondering that about the dial Mike. To bad they had to change it. Well at least I got to see one in person. The guy that found it is also from Nebraska. Very interesting, Thank you!

Now to see if I can make it look good again. Smile

Thank you everyone for your help.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
posted
Larry,
If the private label movement meant something sentimental or nostalgic to me, it wouldn't bother me one bit if the dial signature didn't match the private label name on the movement! As someone once said, "They ain't makin' these things anymore!"

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
For a two cent piece I will throw this down :

There is no way to know if a PL watch once had a PL dial that matched the PL mvmt Eek

Some PL mvmts had matching PL dials while others did not Eek and vice-versa Wink

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hamilton 491117 is actually a Grade 926 finished March 6, 1906, and sold June 30, 1906 to a Chicago wholesaler.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002