WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

HELP ID RYRIE BROS PRIVATE LABEL MOVEMENT LONGINES? WITTNAUER? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roddy J. Brunton
posted
The dial says Ryrie Bros which was a precursor to Henry Birks Jewelers (now Maison Birks)
It is marked Swiss & 15 jewels
The dial side has HERALD & 670 around the outside edge and WITTNAUER inside of that.
The watchmaker had it in a container marked LONGINES
I can't find another movement like it...

Roddy JB

Posts: 1384 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
pic 2

Roddy JB

Posts: 1384 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
pic 3

Roddy JB

IHC Member 1555
posted
What's it diameter Roddy, or how many lignes?

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1555
posted
The maker of that movement Roddy is "Revue" (Thommen) from around 1890's to early 1900's. I take it, that it is around a 16 Size American, if you give me the size I will be able to give you the caliber?

IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Bila,
I never got a notification you had replied...
The mvt measures about 36.4mm
The dial measures about 40.5mm
I found something similar on Dr Ranftt's BidFun site --- a Revue 19'''H5.6
Strange, there were 100's of tins and what was marked on the outside is what was inside
Ergo, I figured this had to be a Longines possibly but there you go...
Rod

Roddy JB

IHC Member 1555
posted
It is a bit of a crossover/transitional between the Caliber's 19"-H5.6 (your's has the same back-plate as this) & the plain Revue 19" Caliber (your's has the same dial-plate setting mechanism as this), but for all intensive purposes the 1st above RoddySmile

As for the Watchmaker saying it was a Longines on the tin Roddy, who nows??? A lot of people think alot of the Wittnauer's were made by Longines which is an incorrect assumption on their partSmile

IHC Life Member
posted
Cheers again Bila,
I guess getting one wrong out of about4-500 isn’t too bad… Razz
Roddy

Roddy JB

IHC Member 1555
posted
He did a Good-JobSmile