Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help me identify this Hamilton "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1124
posted
I just acquired this mint Hamilton. It seems very close to new in the box. However, the movement serial # is HA1725, and I cannot seem to find that series of numbers listed for Hamiltons. The movement is about 1 3/4" wide, and the overall diameter of the watch is about 2 1/4" I'm pretty new at this and joining this group has really excited me. Can someone tell me what I have? Thanks in advance.

©harles

Posts: 134 | Location: South New Jersey in the USA | Registered: April 11, 2008
IHC Member 1124
posted
Face view

©harles

IHC Member 1124
posted
Inside case

©harles

IHC Member 1124
posted
Box & papers

©harles

IHC Member
posted
Charles- It's a beauty - I'm just looking and waiting with you-my Hamliton collection is still very much in it's infancy... This is a Swiss Hamilton though, if it's an HA serial number.
Someone will be along soon-I'm sure...

Marty

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Charles!

It's great to have you with us.

Those watches are from the 1970s, 1980s or later, after the Last American Railroad Watch was made by Hamilton in Lancaster. Outwardly it resembles a late 992B / Case 17 in appearance. I think some if not all were marketed in a "Franklin Mint" type of promotion.

You will notice the dial looks a lot like a Hamilton number 537 which was Double-Sunk Porcelain but rather than being Double-Sunk it has printed circles where the sinks would be. That dial will likely say "Swiss" below the 6:00 position. Note lack of "Railway Special" markings.

The case is based upon the Star-Hamilton Number 17 with an additional ridge cast into the main frame in order to accept the much smaller than 16-size Swiss 17-Jewel Movement. Speaking of the movement, I see Incabloc Shock Resistant Balance and it should perform well as a watch.

And that brings us to collector interest which is minimal at this point. Perhaps as the years go on these will be recognized as an interesting epilogue to our Hamilton fascination.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
If I remember it was marked in tiny letter "Swiss Made" as per photo. I have seen these get upto $300 on ebay on a good day!

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 1124
posted
Thanks Marty, Lindell and Chris for your quick and courteous replies and I really appreciate your knowledge and warm welcome. Chris, I had to really look close to see what you were referring to, but lo and behold, under 5x loupe I could just barely make out the words "unadjusted swiss". Man, how did you ever find that! Anyway, even though it is not a great American Hamilton, it sure is pretty and a tribute to a tradition of quality. It also keeps really good time (2 secs in 48 hrs) . If it's worth anywhere near what Chris estimates, Then I did OK. Thanks again to all.

©harles