Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Central "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I have this Illinois Central, even with the original box, or at least an appropriate one. When looking this up I could not find a Central 12s that was 21j. The book only mentions a 17j. Does anybody have any info on the 21j movement?

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The box and dial and movement are marked "Central", but the jewel count doesn't match. There is a rough spot on the dial (darn) but otherwise everything seems to be in good shape.

Any information would be appreciated.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
IN THE BOOK ON ILLINOIS WATCHES WROTE BY BILL MEGGERS &ROY EHRHARDT IT IS LISTED AS A GRADE 279 21 JEWEL..

THIS IS WHAT THE BOOK SAID ON THE GRADE 279..

THE GRADE 279 APPEARS MOST FREQUENTLY WITH THE PRIVATE LABELS OF THE SANTA FE. AND ILLINOIS CENTERAL...HOWEVER MOST INTERESTING TO COLLECTORS IS THE SINGLE RUN OF 50 MOVEMENTS STARTING AT SERIAL# 5073201 THAT IS MARKED BUNN SPECIAL...IT IS NOT KNOW WHY THIS SINGLE GROUP OF WATCHES WAS MADE BUT THE FACT THAT THEY WERE FINISHED DURING THE FRIST YEAR OF OPERATION UNDER HAMILTON WATCH CO. OWNERSHIP SUGGESTS THAT HAMILTON MAY HAVE BEEN GIVING CONSIDERATION TO EXPANDING THE BUNN SPECIAL TO INCLUDE A 12 SIZE VERSION...IF SO, THE THOUGHT WAS ABANDONED SINCE NO MORE WERE MADE....

THE 12 SIZE BUNN SPECIAL IS LISTED AS A 2 STAR WATCH LOOKS LIKE IT SHOULD BE A 3 OR 4 STAR WATCH..

NICE WATCH TOM..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks Samie,
I don't have that book, and Schugart lists it as a 17j. Interesting information about the short run of Bunn 12s. This does have that damascening pattern that some Bunns have.

Thank you very much for the information!

Tom

Illinois Expert
posted
Tom,

In addition to the production run of your watch, I have also seen the "Illinois Central" Private Label in two other runs of this 12-size, 21-jewel, Grade "279" Model "1" movement.

In addition to runs marked "Santa Fe Special" in this configuration, I've also seen ones marked "Illinois Winner", "Time King", and "Victor".

There were a total of 16,000 made between 1926 - 1929.

Russ

Posts: 20 | Location: Urbana, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: May 23, 2004
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Russ,

Your insights and reasearch are very helpful to many of us. Do you think there could there be any "Bunn Special" 12-size watches, or is that just another myth?

Dr. Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Illinois Expert
posted
Dr. Debbie,

Although Bill Meggers and I never discussed the 12-size Bunn Specials in any great detail, I was assured they existed. Unfortunately, since there were only a maximum of 50 produced, I have not personally seen one.

My notes from conversations with Bill indicated that the "Bunn Special" versions produced in this one run of 50 Grade "279" watches indicates that these were NOT considered a separate Grade of Illinois watches -- just a run of 50 marked like with a quasi-"Bunn Special" Private Label by Hamilton.

I should also add that, immediately after this run of 50 watches, the company produced a run of 25 watche marked "Illinois Winner", and these in turn were followed by a run of 25 marked "Illinois Central". In fact, the watches from 5,072,001 - 5,261,300 consisted of several runs which ALL contained at least some watches marked as Private Labels, and represent many of those produced during Hamilton's first year of ownership.

Russ

Posts: 20 | Location: Urbana, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: May 23, 2004