WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    New York Standard Pocket Watches (UPDATE: KEN MORFORD NEEDS AN HOUR WHEEL)
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New York Standard Pocket Watches (UPDATE: KEN MORFORD NEEDS AN HOUR WHEEL) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I came accross a New York Standard pocket watch 1930. I know very little about pocket watches just getting into them and nothing about New YorkStandard . Can anyone give me some info or tell me where to go.

Perry Howard

Posts: 66 | Location: Silsbee, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 01, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Perry

Glad to have you with us, you will like it here.

If you go to the Find or Search button above your post you can find about six pages of posts with New York Standard in them, this link is to the search I made.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...ds=new+york+standard

Also you might think of joining the club here & picket up the Complete Price Guide to Watches with your membership. That book would be a good starter book to get you going.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...s/a/frm/f/1386019371

Again welcome & if you could post photos of your watch we could tell you more. If your watch was a New York Standard they were in business from 1885-1929.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Thank you for replying to my question. I'm posting some pictures. I would like to know if it is worth having restored at this moment it is not runing.The s# is 3749792. I have joined the club and I will get my book in Jan. Thank you
Perry Howard

New York Standard

posted
Here is one more picture

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Glad you joined Perry! Believe me you will get your monies worth here.

I would say your watch is worth restoring, I think all of them are that are still complete. Yours has some nice looking minute & hour hands, the second hand looks like it was replaced or maybe broken off at some point in time.

I don't know a lot about NY Standard watches but I am sure some others will chime in.

Again, glad to have you here with us.

Tom

posted
Hey Perry, Welcome to IHC185. New York Standard watches are not considered particularly valuable,and the company's records are pretty scarce. The story is that a fire destroyed their warehouse at one time and all the records went in the fire. Your's is an 18 size open face,and I think a model 64,and by the serial number,I would say made around 1900. While some consider NYS just a small nick above the "dollar watch",I am a big fan of New York Standards,and have many of them. Some of the more rare models are actually quite valuable. They are the only company as far as I know,to have made the "worm gear" escapement. You can Google "worm gear escapement" and find out more about that. Also I have a large amount of NYS parts should you need any,and just about anything in the way of parts that I have can be your's for just the postage cost. Once again,welcome.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
posted
Thank You Cecil you have been very helpful as well as Tom.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I also have a drawer full of NY Standard movements that anyone is welcome to parts from, I don't happen to collect them but a few years ago in a box I bought it had quite a few in various sizes, none were running however.

Tom

Picture of Kenneth Morford
posted
Cecil, Tom,
I have a need for a NY Standard hour wheel.( pendant set, 1925 sn# 31428) I have not been able to find one. I will try to upload a picture. Your discussion is good timing

Posts: 46 | Location: Decatur, Michigan in the USA | Registered: August 01, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I will be waiting on your photo to check my parts for you.

Tom

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Welcome to IHC185 Perry. This is a good example of the friendly and collegial way our members share their knowledge and help one another.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Hey Kenneth,
With that low serial number,your watch must be a model 2,with a ring gear winding and setting,or more likely even a model 1 with a worm gear escapement. I have to leave for work right now,but this afternoon when I get home,I'll check,and I probably have the hour wheel. A picture of your movement will help.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
Picture of Roland Glenn
posted
Hi, I was collecting NY Standards but found most of the 16 size to not be of good quality and have since liquidated those. Here is a pick of my 1892 Stem wind/Lever set 15J 18S Hunter Set/OF Model “4” Ser# 721105. I think that the larger 18 size are better built. The rarer worm gear models are getting pricey these days. I am currently selling this NY Standard on ebay under the user ID littletoyboy98 if anyone is interested. By the image shown above, it sure looks like a 16s model 94 3/4 plate 7 jewell movement from around 1907. I had about 6 of those and they all flaked out.

R. Glenn

Posts: 437 | Location: Ryde, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom | Registered: January 18, 2010
posted
Sorry to have taken so long to get these images. I am in need of an hour wheel for my New York Standard. Thank you gentlemen!

[ pendant set, 1925 number 31428 three images follow ]

Posts: 46 | Location: Decatur, Michigan in the USA | Registered: August 01, 2009
posted
The wheel and its size

posted
the wheel itself

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Ken,
Measure across the dial side and e-mail me what you come up with. I should have a center wheel for you.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
I am looking for a center wheel for a New York Standard pocket watch serial number 1011221 looks to be a 12s.

Posts: 11 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma in the USA | Registered: September 03, 2014
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I'm confused. One mentions hour wheel and another mentions center wheel. Which is it. I probably have both.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Patrick,

This particular topic was originally started back in December of 2009 and was recently brought back to the top, since over 5 years have past, some of the requests are old.

In the post directly above you, James Reed is requesting only the center wheel.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
quote:
James Reed
IHC Member 1983
posted August 20, 2015 12:17
I am looking for a center wheel for a New York Standard pocket watch serial number 1011221 looks to be a 12s.

Posts: 2 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma in the USA | Registered: September 03, 2014

Posts: 11 | Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma in the USA | Registered: September 03, 2014
IHC Member 1613
posted
James I sent you an email...Gary

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
James, I can, If you want send you a PDF on NYS ID.
A model # might help. I am likely to have one.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
I would appreciate the PDF. I could not find any model no. I got a movement from Gary Cochran for the center wheel. Thanks

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Patrick, if possible send me the PDF on New York Standard ID.

Thx.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011